Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ok, I must bee nuts I watered the Goldenrod Today!  (Read 4562 times)

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
Ok, I must bee nuts I watered the Goldenrod Today!
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:55:44 pm »

Hello Everyone,
Yes it's true....but my bees need nectar and I have a field of the stuff right behind the hives.
My wife thinks I'm nuts, but after seeing no nectar in the hives I'm trying disparate measures.
No rain expected for another week and it hit 90 deg today.
The G-rod is their last chance before I have to start pumping the hives w/sugar which I don't like to do.

So....I'm I a fool or brilliant  :-D we'll see.

Paul

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Ok, I must bee nuts I watered the Goldenrod Today!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:56 pm »
Now that's some serious dedication! Your bees will thank you for it :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:36:06 pm »
Now that's some serious dedication! Your bees will thank you for it :)

Scott

Well, they could thank me with honey :-D......... maybe next year, I'll be happy it they collect enough for winter.
It at least got them away from the house and the leaky faucet.

Paul

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:45:01 pm »
I'm not seeing much nectar either. In fact, my TBH and nuc colony (in a singe deep now) had none, so I started feeding them last week. I hope I get something from my two remaining langstroths this fall!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:36 am »
No, you are not nuts. I water the goldenrod about every 4 to 6 hours. That of course is based on my liquid consumption and sweat levels for the particular day.  :shock:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:22:39 pm »
No, you are not nuts. I water the goldenrod about every 4 to 6 hours. That of course is based on my liquid consumption and sweat levels for the particular day.  :shock:

No way!!
I'm so happy you responded to this Bjornbee.
The guy that lives behind me has got be wondering what the heck I'm doing watering the field.
So tell me more....do u see a big difference when u water it? I mean visually as far as the plant and nectar production.
Good stuff .....thanks for the support.

Paul

Offline Dunkel

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:25:49 pm »
This can't turn out good.   ;)

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:30 pm »
Oh Wait.....
I think I just got you meaning!!
Watering the goldenrod depending on you liquid consumption.......ok I get it!
Very funny....LOL

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:34:26 pm »
I thought maybe you were a drinker  8-)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:56 pm »
The only difference is the deeper yellow of the blossoms :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 09:24:20 pm »
Too funny....They say humility is good for the soul. Mine has just had a recharge thanks to our Bjornbee.
What a funny guy!
All his posts are so fun to read....

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »
If you have a field behind you see if the owner minds you planting a strip of Buckwheat.  45 days to flower & a great source of nutrition for the bees.  I planted some last week and it's already up.  By the middle of October my bees will be feasting on it.  The best part is one can plant it any time in spring, summer, & fall. 
Make Mead!

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 02:26:38 pm »
Buckwheat honey.  Man! Dark and good - the best thing ever in barbecue sauce.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline scoobee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 04:26:35 pm »
Okay, Is Buckwheat a northern thing only? or can Florida have some too. Bob

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 04:48:55 pm »
Golden rod, Buckwheat..Anything that can flower late in the year is going to be good for the bees.  I don't know much about what blooms when in Florida.  I assume you have a dearth period?  You might find buckwheat on-line.  I get my seed from Amish country in Ohio.   I guess in FL you could plant it all year long. 

I use it for winterization.  Many make honey out of it.  Be warned, buckwheat honey tastes a lot like Black Strap Molasses, but with a metallic aftertaste.  Some of us love it.  Others hate it.  Bees like it plenty though!
Make Mead!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
This can't turn out good.   ;)

I wish I would of been paying attention  :'(

This could of been good....
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:15 pm »
Mike, are you seeing much for goldenrod honey out your way?  I did inspections last weekend and wasn't very impressed and it's the first time in 5 years that I haven't been greeted with the infamous sweatsock smell radiating from the hives.  Granted, there's some time yet.  Lots of brood = lots of consumption so hopefully they will catch up.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:54 pm »
You might want to do some research before ya go nuts with the watering.  I don't know if Goldenrod is this way but in some cases a plant that is stressed will produce more necter and such to ensure that the genetics are passed on to the next generation.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 12:06:38 am »
Mike, are you seeing much for goldenrod honey out your way?  I did inspections last weekend and wasn't very impressed and it's the first time in 5 years that I haven't been greeted with the infamous sweatsock smell radiating from the hives.  Granted, there's some time yet.  Lots of brood = lots of consumption so hopefully they will catch up.

No. I had ten nucs die in August due to starvation. They normally have only a frame of honey in the queen rearing nucs most of the summer. So it does not take long to burn through it once the dearth starts. Many of my queens shut down this year. I got them back up with a little feed, but it's way to hot, and way too little rain. Looks like another bust for the fall flow unless something changes.

I did notice a slight smell in one of the full hive yards two nights ago. But it still seems most are just eating their stores at a fast pace.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline melliferal

• House Bee
  • @Checkmite
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 05:36:14 pm »
Be warned, buckwheat honey tastes a lot like Black Strap Molasses, but with a metallic aftertaste.  Some of us love it.  Others hate it.  Bees like it plenty though!

They like it in the morning, at least.  The nectar really thickens up by mid-day; my bees won't work the local patch at all past noon.  Maybe mine are just lazy!  And they say "pets" don't take after their owners...

Goldenrod honey is some interesting stuff.  I makes the hive smell like butterscotch and it's good on ice cream (in my humble opinion).
Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.