Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dumb top bar questions  (Read 3450 times)

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
Dumb top bar questions
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:42:42 am »
Okay,  pondering KTBH  due to Mr Bush,  (If hes flexible then it must not be to stupid)    Don't the bees attach the comb to both the top bar and the side of the hive?  seems to me that due to the bar design and the open sides they would attach both places makeing it darn near impossible to get out a bar???  and since the bar is overhung,  how would you reach in and cut it loose?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Dumb top bar questions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:05:15 pm »
>Don't the bees attach the comb to both the top bar and the side of the hive? 

They attach it well to the top and only a little on the side.  It's easy enough to cut and once you do they don't tend to reattach it.

>seems to me that due to the bar design and the open sides they would attach both places makeing it darn near impossible to get out a bar???

You always need to check and cut any attachments but there are seldom very many and they are seldom rebuilt.

>  and since the bar is overhung,  how would you reach in and cut it loose?

Usually you try to keep the hive from getting plum full.  You start at the back where there should be any empty bar or two or more and you work your way to where there are combs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »
On my KTBHs I leave follower boards which are 3/4" thickness at the rear most position. This gives me enough room to slip a thin stainless rod bent at a 90 degree angle about 1" from the end down the sloping side to separate the comb in an up lifting motion. Don't ask me how I know up is better! :roll: Stainless because it has more strength in a small diameter than anything else I have used.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:55:46 am »
up would be better because you are not adding any weight to the comb.  By going down, you would be adding undue stress to the comb.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.