Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapping tool I hadn't seen before; anyone tried it?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline pgayle

• New Bee
Uncapping tool I hadn't seen before; anyone tried it?
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:21:14 am »
Like a little paint roller with spikes!  

See the Mann Lake online catalog online, page 106.  

I had always just used a serrated knife from Goodwill and it works fine, but lots of cappings and honey that still need to be processed once you're done.  I may try one of these just for grins.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/css/00000001/images/cat2013/hd-467-uncapping-punch.jpg  

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page106.html#!productInfo/7/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:49:13 am by buzzbee »

Moots

Re: Uncapping tool I hadn't seen before; anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 12:09:21 pm »
pgayle,
It's funny you should post this, I had never seen this tool before until this morning...I was checking the price on the cold knife I use from KelleyBees to answer another thread when it caught my attention.

I thought it looked pretty interesting, I be curious to see if anyone on here has experience with it.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 01:00:50 pm »
Its prime use is for Heather honey that is jelly like in consistence and doesn't want to let go when extracting.

You roll the roller and stir the honey in the cell liquefying the honey and making it extractable.

A professional machine will set you back 5000 dollars

The roller will clog a bit, but it is an inexpensive choice if you don't have to much Heather.

The bees mend the eventual mess i makes

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:29:42 pm »
I bought the original version, the Hackler Honey Punch.  If I were buying another, I would by a skinnier one.  mine was 5" or so and it took a lot of pressure to puncture the caps.  A skinny one with more swipes would be less work.  It clogged up with wax quickly.  I mostly got it because it's the only thing that works with low caps on fully drawn plastic (Honey Super Cell and PermaComb).  It's quicker to use a hot knife on wax combs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Moots

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:31:37 am »
I bumped into a guy in the vendor room this past weekend at the bee convention. He told me he had one and didn't care for it. Like Michael, he said it got clogged up with wax rather quickly.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:27:33 pm »
I saw it last week for the first time. Mann Lake had it on sale in the email they send out. I almost ordered it with a few other items on sale but I could not get the password correct. Not sure how good it would be for extracting but I thought it might be good when I am trying to get the bees to move capped honey down into the brood area in the fall.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »
I've been using this tool for 3 years now, bought it from Pigeon Mt, I think. Works very well but as MB said it clogs with wax very easily. If you decide to try it be prepared to clean it after every frame or two.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:10 pm »
How do you Clean it?

Is it bothersome to Clean it?