Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild Hogs and Beehives  (Read 4673 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Wild Hogs and Beehives
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:38:53 pm »
I was just talking with 10framer and I wanted to post this question. Currently we don't have a wild hog problem but it's just a matter of time. Has anyone ever had problems with or have heard of anyone having problems with wild hogs messing with their beehives? It seems like they would love to find a hive that easy to get into.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Wild Hogs and Beehives
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »
i haven't seen it yet.  the hogs mostly stay on my neighbor's place and he has(had, he keeps losing it to beetles because he supers it before they cover 5 frames in the brood chamber) one hive with hog sign all around it and no indication that they pay any attention to it.  i've seen scat that i'm pretty sure is hog within 10 feet of my hives and they haven't given me trouble. 
if you have agriculture and/or water nearby you will have hogs sooner or later. 
a few of the national forests in alabama were over run a couple of years ago.  aren't you fairly close to talladega?  that was one of the places with a problem. 
shoot every one you see.  if you kill 75 percent of them you are maintaining the population.
be careful handling them because they can carry diseases that can infect humans.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:14:25 pm »
I had domestic hogs decide they needed to plow the ground under a yard once.  25 colonies as singles were all moved but none were tipped over and raided.  I bet if one would have went over, they all would have.  I bet hogs is hogs.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:23:47 pm »
i agree that if they ever knocked one over and figured out that there's a lot of sugar and protein there they'd knock them all over.

Offline dirt road

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »
I think pigs REALLY dislike getting stung. They've got a few places where the bees could get through their hide, around the tail and eyes, underline etc. I don't have any personal experience with the issue, but was told as a kid that hogs won't mess with bees.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:45 am »
I believe you may be right.  On further reflection, think of all the bee yards in land now overrun with feral hogs.  If they were a problem we would have heard. 

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:49:55 pm »
hmmmm ... honey ham ....

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »
could be.  if they didn't mind getting stung yellow jackets would probably be endangered in about half the country by now, nesting in the ground would make them an easy target for hogs. 
then again from what i understand they love rattlesnakes and there is no shortage of timber rattlers around my place and 10 or 15 miles down the road there are plenty of diamond backs (funny how when an animal's range stops it stops).  i wonder what they do to gopher tortoises.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:29 pm »
When I was a kid, I saw one of our hogs eating a snake. Don't know what king but it was big. I can remember hearing old folks saying you won't see a snake in a pig pen 'cause dey eat them. Something about the layer of fat on a hog keeps the poison from getting into their system.

My big billy got bit 3 times on the leg by a poisonous snake this year. I thought he had broke his ankle until the hair fell off and I saw the fang marks. About 4 years ago I lost a nanny because she got stung (probably) in the mouth by a yj or bb. I was about to lose another one until I figured out she was having an allergic reaction to something and her throat was swelling shut. I crushed up some Benadryl and put it down her throat. Now I keep children's liquid Benadryl on hand in my goat med grab bag.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:12:10 pm »
About the only way a feral hog will mess with a hive is if you have acorns on the ground around the hives they might root around and knock one over.
As far as hogs and snakes, a snake is a treat for a hog.
We use to catch a snake and throw it in a pen of hogs and take bets whether the snake would make it out or not.
It use to be free range around where I lived, but when they removed the hogs the snake were as thick as fleas on a dawg.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)