Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH top bars question  (Read 4091 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
TBH top bars question
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:09 pm »
I am making a TBH out of a plastic barrel and I read the top bars need to be 1 1/4  and 1 1/2 for different combs but how many of each do you put on? half of each size?
Lori

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: TBH top bars question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:18:46 pm »
I'm no authority, but I did build a TBH and (probably like you) researched opinions on the Internet.  What I found was that TBHs should be between 36 and 48 inches long.  Depending on length, perhaps ten or fifteen 1-1/4 inch brood bars at the entrance end, 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 honey bars away from the entrance.  Having a solid partition to keep the area small to begin with (I started mine with ten bars) is good I think.  Then move the partition and add more bars as space fills up.  I also built a top bar Nuc for transporting my original cutout and will use it as a trap in the future.  16-1/4 long so a "standard" cover will fit it.  I originally mounted eight combs to bars and added two empty bars.  Then I put the bees in.

Have fun!

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:03:18 am »
I'm no authority, but I did build a TBH and (probably like you) researched opinions on the Internet.  What I found was that TBHs should be between 36 and 48 inches long.  Depending on length, perhaps ten or fifteen 1-1/4 inch brood bars at the entrance end, 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 honey bars away from the entrance.  Having a solid partition to keep the area small to begin with (I started mine with ten bars) is good I think.  Then move the partition and add more bars as space fills up.  I also built a top bar Nuc for transporting my original cutout and will use it as a trap in the future.  16-1/4 long so a "standard" cover will fit it.  I originally mounted eight combs to bars and added two empty bars.  Then I put the bees in.

Have fun!

Thanks, I do plan on making a partition, and I will start with 10 bars, how many of those 10 bars should be brood bars? All or just some? I am having fun making it, I think all women should be able to use power tools :) Forgot to add those are some nice looking bees and your TBH looks really pretty.
Lori

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:14:40 am »
...how many of those 10 bars should be brood bars? All or just some?

I don't think it matters that much in the beginning.  I think Beeks are fussier than bees.  Where are you getting your bees from?  It would seem to me to be a bit late to start a hive in MN.

I started with eight bars of comb and two empties.  Only eight because that's all the comb there was under the mobile home where they came from.  If I did it again, I would do the same.

Be carefull with those power tools.  A small table saw is indispensable, serves as a work surface too.  I use wood dowels for joining most things.  Personal issue.  A bit time consuming, but I'm in it for the fun.  My TBHs don't have a nail or screw in them.

Good luck, have fun!

p.s.  Did you notice the queen in the middle picture?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:26:16 am by Sundog »

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:04 pm »
...how many of those 10 bars should be brood bars? All or just some?

I don't think it matters that much in the beginning.  I think Beeks are fussier than bees.  Where are you getting your bees from?  It would seem to me to be a bit late to start a hive in MN.

p.s.  Did you notice the queen in the middle picture?
Yes it is to late to get bees here in MN I will wait until next season, I am just one of those people that likes to get things done sooner rather then later I hate being rushed. I did not notice the queen but looked for it now, is she in the middle towards the top with her butt in a cell?
Lori

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »
I did not notice the queen but looked for it now, is she in the middle towards the top with her butt in a cell?

Nah.  She's at the bottom of the comb, just below dead center in the photo.

Have fun!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 12:41:01 am »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 03:22:26 am »
The bees will build the brood comb 1 1/4" on center regardless of what you build the bars.  So if you want to keep them on the bars... they will build honey combs in various widths but they seem happy enough with 1 1/2" and not that happy with 1 1/4" for honey.  So if you want to keep those on the bars...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything