Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Easier Way to Post Photos  (Read 12778 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Easier Way to Post Photos
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:06:19 am »
I have terrible luck with the posting tutorial.  It keeps redirecting me to someother yahoo sites to sell me whatever service.  In any event, is there any other way I can post pictures? Another service, perhaps.  How is that some pictures are embedded within the posts?
Brian

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Easier Way to Post Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:23:17 am »
You need some type of server to host pics that you can upload from. I use the imageshack at the bottom of this page and I save my pics on google's picasa site, its free. http://picasa.google.com/

Make sure the pics you save are reasonable in size for uploading, if they're too large you can resize them with a program such as paint.net. http://www.getpaint.net/

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:58:39 am »
You can use whatever photo hosting service you want.  We have integrated ImageShack into the create post page just as a convenience.   If you are getting redirected,  it must be something hijacking your browser.   

once you have the image hosted,  you can imbed it in a post by.

Code: [Select]
[img]url of image[/img]
where url of image is something like:  http://picture.host.com/xxx/yyy/pic.jpg   <- not a real link, don't try to click

rob..
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:01:41 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I will have our tech guy at the office check into this hijacking potential.  That does not sound good.  JP, what is a reasonable size for a photo?  I must confess to being a tad behind the times on digital photography. 
Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:31:35 pm »
what is a reasonable size for a photo? 

It is best not to go bigger than 640x480.   Smaller is better if the resolution allows.  I find 350x350 works well.   Better yet,  use a clickable thumbnail, it is really appreciated by those with slow connections.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:15:32 am »
Hey JP! Ive been meaning to ask you how you do your pics. You know, one clik and your pics are there. If I could do my pics your way i could get more out for people to see. When you do your pics your way, is it faster than like if I post mine directly in the posting itself?
 Can ya help a brutha out? :-D
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:27:14 am »
Hey JP! Ive been meaning to ask you how you do your pics. You know, one clik and your pics are there. If I could do my pics your way i could get more out for people to see. When you do your pics your way, is it faster than like if I post mine directly in the posting itself?
 Can ya help a brutha out? :-D
your friend,
john

I upload my pics from my camera to picasa, then I create web folders from the pics I've loaded, I then open a specific web folder which I usually just name by date pics were taken, copy the url and then paste after pics:

This way, when you click on the link, it opens the specific folder I would like you to view.

Picasa walks you through each step and the tools are very easy to use and navigate through.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:48:48 pm »
Thanks JP!
 I have picasa as its what works well with doing a blog. I'll take a closer look at it and see about making a folder :)
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:58:46 pm »
Thanks JP!
 I have picasa as its what works well with doing a blog. I'll take a closer look at it and see about making a folder :)
your friend,
john

No problem mbfam!

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 12:13:45 pm »
The following is an older post I just copied it, it may or may not be helpful.  Have that wonderful and great day, Cindi

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=8167.msg51193#msg51193
This is a detailed description by Cindi you may find helpful.
If you still have trouble you can PM me the link too the photo and I would gladly post it for you.  Ken
These are the instructions that can be copied into the forum or you can go into the topic in the forum, listed above.
OK, first, download the pictures onto your computer?  I guess I should have asked that firstly.

Thumbnails are preferred for picture posting, as many people do not have cable and only have dial-up, which can take a while.  But you can resize your images to under 100kb, which is suitable for picture posting and you can post in full size images, but the method is slightly different.  I will decsribe each method.

Thumbnails:
Go into the forum and create a post.
Type some text just to get it going.
Below the text box you will see a field that is blank and beside is the "browse" button. 
Click on browse
This will take you to your computer
Find where you stored your picture
Click on the picture name
And then choose "open"
The picture data information will appear in the window to the left of the "browse" button, it designates where the picture is located on your computer
Below the "browse" button and find the words "Host it"
Click on host it and you will enter the "Imageshack" software that will come up in a screen
It should show your picture in there.
Above your picture you will see several links to forum 1 or 2 etc (these are for using thumbnails.
Click "hotlinks to forum 1", this highlights the line, it will turn blue
Click on it, then do the right click to copy the picture
Close the imageshack (you know, click the X on the top right of screen)
Now go back to the place where you typed your text and where you want the image to be placed, right click again to paste your picture

You're basically done.  Each picture that you want to post in this post you will have to go manually into image shack. I have tried to do multiples, but it goofed up on me, you probably can, but I couldn’t figure it out.  Good luck

Full sized pictures -- for those that have resized their pictures to under 100 kb and prefer not to use thumbnails, but full sized pictures.

First, you must have a good image resizer program.  Do you use one?  I will assume you know what this program does.

I would suggest you go into a site called "VSO image resizer".  That is what I use to resize my images to send into the forum, it is very very user friendly and fast.  So, do that first, unless you have a good image resizer program.

On my desktop I make a folder for my forum pictures.  I copy a picture from a file into the folder and then proceed with the image resizing.  It just makes it simple to find the pictures that way, instead of looking all over the map each time I want to upload a picture.  That is my first step.  Then I resize the picture.  Resize them to 640 X 420 (or whatever it is, something similar).  You will see your pictures will probably be resized to between 40 to 100 kb, these should upload easily.

Go into the forum and create a post.
Type some text just to get it going.
Below the text box you will see a field that is blank and beside is the "browse" button. 
Click on browse
This will take you to your computer
Find where you stored your picture
Click on the picture name
And then choose "open"
The picture data information will appear in the window to the left of the "browse" button, it designates where the picture is located on your computer
Below the "browse" button and find the words "Host it"
Click on host it and you will enter the "Imageshack" software that will come up in a screen
It should show your picture in there.
Above your picture you will see several links to forum 1 or 2 etc, ignore these, they are for thumbnails
Below your picture you will see two lines regarding the posting to forum 1 and forum 2
You want to select the first line "hotlinks to forum 1", highlight the line, it will turn blue
Click on it, then do the right click to copy the picture
Close ImageShack (you know, click the X on the top right of ImageShack)
Now go back to the place where you typed your text and where you want the image to be placed, right click again to paste your picture

Before you post your post, you should preview it.  That will show exactly what your post will look like with the picture inserted.

You're basically done.  Each picture that you want to post in this post you will have to go manually into image shack. I have tried to do multiples, but it goofed up on me, you probably can, but I couldn’t figure it out.  Good luck
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »
Heh heh heh...
Whats mbfam?

Hadda ask!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 02:49:58 pm »
Heh heh heh...
Whats mbfam?

Hadda ask!
your friend,
john

mbfam, anyone else care to guess? Will have to make you wait a lil longer John. :-D

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 05:22:09 pm »
We'll keep it a secret, huh? ;)

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 05:56:10 pm »
i know, but i cheated and googled it.

i think picasa is the easiest.  just click on a picture and copy and paste the thumbnail link.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 06:38:54 pm »
You mean like Right clik on the pic as you would when copying and pasting anything else?
And then just paste it on the post page below where you're writing?
 That DEFINITELY would save some time, right?
 Sounds too good to be true but I'll try it!
thanks!

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 07:07:11 pm »
no.  left click on the picture.  on the lower right side of the page you will see Link to this Photo.  click and you will see HTML to embed in website.  copy and paste the link...  (i added the colors to highlight what you are looking for)  :-)

and will look like this when your post comes up:

[img width= height=]http://lh6.ggpht.com/pearce.km/R5fIdxlbrxI/AAAAAAAACeI/yP_58aCos7c/s144/DSCN0766.JPG[/img]

click on the photo and it will enlarge.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 08:39:59 pm »
Sorry Kathy, I'm having a problem....
I dont find "link to this photo".
  Along the bottom of my picasa pic page I have options, from left to right that say, Web album, then Email, then Print,then Order prints, then Blog this, then Collage, then Export.
I cant even find Link to this photo on any drop downs from my top tool bar, you know, where file and edit and all the other stuff is.
 I am using "Picasa2"..is that the same as yours?
your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 09:03:15 pm »
after you have chosen the photo you want, do you see a box that runs the length of the page, on the right?  it should list the album name, etc.  toward the bottom of that box should be the link to photo thing.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 09:18:48 pm »
Ok,...I think I figured it out.
I have to have a "Web album" created first....I saw "link to this album" and some other stuff that youre talking about once I got this figured out. At the top right of where I was was a deal that said Sign in to web album, so i clicked it and saw the stuff. This must be the same as what JP was telling me about whn I asked him how he got all his pics together. I guess I have picasa but didnt know about how to use all the stuff it offers. Mynext step is to build an album!

Thanks again for all your help!
 I have to go watch the REDSOX now!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 09:28:05 pm »
Ok,...I think I figured it out.
I have to have a "Web album" created first....I saw "link to this album" and some other stuff that youre talking about once I got this figured out. At the top right of where I was was a deal that said Sign in to web album, so i clicked it and saw the stuff. This must be the same as what JP was telling me about whn I asked him how he got all his pics together. I guess I have picasa but didnt know about how to use all the stuff it offers. Mynext step is to build an album!

Thanks again for all your help!
 I have to go watch the REDSOX now!
your friend,
john

John, after you create a web album, you then click web albums at top right of your picasa library.

Then you open the album you want to view, if you want others to view that same album you can right click in your address window and click copy, then paste the link into your post.

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »
One more thing John. After you have uploaded pics from your camera and are trying to create an album, click the shift button and left click each pic you want to add to your folder. Keep holding the shift button down so all pics you want in that folder are highlighted, then click web album at bottom left and picasa will automatically start creating that folder.

After the folder is created, it will ask you if you would like to view the folder on line, if you click yes, it opens and then you can copy and paste from there into your post. Its a nice little short cut.

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 09:40:29 pm »
This is a test.

I tried Kathy's way, pretty cool.

...JP

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 01:56:37 pm »
I had to redo every thing when my P.C. went down last week.
I got Photo Bucket back up and (BINGO)
I down load mine from the camera to a file folder.
Then pull them up and resize,"in that same folder".
Then I transfer them to photo Bucket.
When I'm ready to post, there they are ready.
Photo bucket has 3 codes under the pic. left on the last one, it becomes highlighted.
Move your curser to your post page and  right click in the space you want the pic, a dialog box appears, left  click on paste. done, like this.
In photo bucket the pic you want to click is

:)happy doak.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 02:11:39 pm »
Finish last sentence.
In photo bucket the code you want use is the one that has [IMG]http.

H,doak ;)

anything