Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pollin under the hives  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Spear

• House Bee
pollin under the hives
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:25:53 am »
I have noticed a lot of pollin coming into my 2 garden hives but also see alot of pollin on the ground under the hives. Could this be from clumsy workers dropping the pollin or is it from robbing by wasps?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: pollin under the hives
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:55:18 am »
It is from the bees walking across the screen bottom board and the pollen gets knocked off or it may fall when they are walking on the frames or are putting in the cells. I watch my OB hive and see them dancing in the frames and then they go and find a cell to place the pollen in and they are very careful in placing it, putting their hind legs all the way into a cell and pushing the packs into the back of the cell. Then a house bee will head pack it in the cell. I have never seen them drop them during this. I use oil trays and most of the pollen drop is near the front of the hive where they are walking on the wire cloth. I do see lines of pollen that show me which frames the bees have brood on so they probably do drop it while on the frames.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 11:20:45 am »
Thanks. I'm glad that it is nothing to be worried about. At first when I saw the pollin under the hives I thought that it was wax cappings that had been ripped open by robbers then on closer inspection saw that it was only pollin. The inside of the hives show no signs of robbing but still thought it might ve relaited.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:21:57 pm »
Bees will not rob pollen. Large amounts of wax can indicate robbing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin