Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is there a visible difference between a Virgin Queen and a newly mated Queen?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
If I have a Queen that has recently mated....will I beable to tell her from the workers or does it take awhile for her body to elongate.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Immediately after mating she is somewhat larger and usually returns with "sign" (a part of the drone anatomy).  But she grows much more as her ovaries develop and as they fill with growing eggs.  She will shrink down again when she stops laying.  So her size changes over time depending on her situation at that time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
I've read it is almost impossible to find a Virgin Queen. I'll be doing a hive check in a few days to see if I have a Queen. I wondered if I would be able to spot her. I'll be looking for other signs..eggs etc...but didn't know if I would have a chance of telling which one she is.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
You can spot them. I have on many occasions, you just have to look carefully. the virgin queens move around much more quickly than the mated ones. They can be very wily.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
If you think you just saw her dart across the frame, flip it over and maybe you'll get a look before she disappears. Look for a bee that is a little longer than the rest of the workers.
They are are masters of hiding out.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
I have found virgins hiding on the bottom board in the back corner.  I've found them hanging underneath the landing board on the outside of the hive.  They are notoriously sneaky.  Even in a two frame medium mating nuc they are hard to find sometimes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
I have spotted them on occasions.
John 3:16