Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When does a hive swarm?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
When does a hive swarm?
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:22:30 pm »
I just inspected my friends hives the other day and one hive was overflowing with bees. They had multiple swarm cells already capped but I also found day old eggs, so the queen was still there along with everyone else. So my question is........

"When do they SWARM"

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: When does a hive swarm?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »
when they want to  :-D

i would say that if you wanted to prevent that hive from swarming, you are on borrowed time.  did you split the hive?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:34:58 pm »
One of the first causes is overcrowding. If they feel they have ran out of space, which they probably have if they are "boiling over", then they will swarm. Most time swarm cells are located on the bottom of the frames. I would move the old hive about 10 feet and set up a  complete new box in the old spot. Take the frame with the queen cells, making sure you don't take the queen, with one other frame of sealed brood, and a couple frames of honey and pollen.All the field will return to the old location. the mother hive will do ok in the new location. Check back in 10 to 14 days for eggs/brood in the new hive. :) d2

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
First swarm use to leave when first queen cells are capped.
It depends on weather too, when they leave.

Second swarm leaves when queen cells emerge. Queen cell's tip turn black and then a queen makes a tiny hole into cap.

When queen cells are capped, only way to clear out is to make artificial swarm into foundation box.
It is in a hurry. Swarm may go when ever when there are capped queen cells.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »
Since you inspected the other day and there was capped cells then, I would suspect that they swarmed by now.

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:50:15 am »
The weather is going to determine when they swarm its been unseasonably cold here in Southwest Virginia. The day after i inspected, Sunday, it was cold and windy. Monday and Tuesday thunderstorms. Wednesday isn't going to be any better. I told my friend to throw out a bait hive in anticipation that they would find it if they swarm before we have time to split. One thing to note is that this is not our only hive and i have nucs started that will adjust for this.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »
The weather is going to determine when they swarm its been unseasonably cold here in Southwest Virginia. The day after i inspected, Sunday, it was cold and windy. Monday and Tuesday thunderstorms. Wednesday isn't going to be any better. I told my friend to throw out a bait hive in anticipation that they would find it if they swarm before we have time to split. One thing to note is that this is not our only hive and i have nucs started that will adjust for this.

bait hive does not help.

But working with hive in storm is not good either.

Put an empty new box aside the hive.
Then excluder
then lift over the excluder he bursting hive.

Then it is better to wait proper weather to continue
with artificial swarm.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:08:26 pm by Finski »
Language barrier NOT included