Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Agressive Bees  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Linda0318

• New Bee
Agressive Bees
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:01 pm »
Hello Everyone,

This is our second year trying to raise bees.  Last year we had one hive and unfortunately the queen died. They were very gentle bees though. This year we have two hives that we received a week ago. They are very aggressive and have been stung several times. They will not let us near them with out attacking. Any suggestions or reasons why they are behaving like this?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Agressive Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:42:38 pm »
If they don't settle down within a week more, requeen them with queens from the northern states.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:46:37 pm »
You are using smoke I hope.

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:28:05 am »
I have less experience than you. Please do not take me seriously.

My small experience is starting to tell me that sometimes there is a concrete reason for mean bees. My most recent experience was due to robbing starting in my hives, but did not show itself for at least two days. Earlier this year when my bees got mean, I watched and found herons manning the hives during the day and eating them. I hung aluminum pie plates to scare them away. Even earlier, my bees had another mean streak and I found 'coons raiding bees at night. I set rat traps to run them off.

My experiences will be nothing like yours. Seek your own path.

Later,
John.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:24 am »
You are using smoke I hope.

That's what I was going to ask.  I split a hive on June 1 without smoke.  I made the bees very angry.  This morning (June 5) I went out to watch the hive and I was again attacked by a guard.  This has happened every day since I worked the hive.  If you make them angry, they can stay that way for some time.  Use smoke.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 04:12:21 pm »
God is amazing.   Giving just a little smoke the ability to tame bees.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 04:56:11 pm »
If they don't settle down within a week more, requeen them with queens from the northern states.
If the two new hives were packages, or even if they were nucs the queen with them may not be their mother so requeening may not be needed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 06:55:01 pm »
You're right, Sterling. I forgot that some nuc suppliers don't supply the mother to the nuc.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »
robbing, predators aggravating them, not having time to settle before you bug them, lack of forage/feed, all things to consider and correct before spending money on new queens.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Linda0318

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:00:07 pm »
 Thank you everyone for your info.  We actually went down to them last night and there were only 1 or 2 that got a little feisty.  We could actually see them flying in with pollen on their legs.  That was a good sign. I have one other question, when should I remove the entrance reducer?