Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Since adding new supers I'm seeing more SHB  (Read 3579 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Since adding new supers I'm seeing more SHB
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:32 pm »
added a 2nd super to 1 hive & the 1st supers to my other 2. i'm suddenly seeing more SHB since i added the supers. Coincidence? my hives came from kelley's. their telescopic cover is constructed of 2 1x boards wrapped with a rabbetted vertical 1x3 frame & covered with metal. there is a gap between the top 2 1x's. i saw a beetle run into the gap & get under the metal. i now plan to caulk the voids on all of my outer covers. when i assembled my hives & supers i caulked the inside corners to eliminate those small voids which the SHB could hide in.
now i'm wondering about the spaces under the metal frame spacers........

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Since adding new supers I'm seeing more SHB
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:39:26 pm »
You have added more void space to the hive by adding the supers. They were probably always there but now how more space to hide from the bees and move in the open on the comb where you see them. If you need the space (and you are probably in your flow and do) leave the super on if not remove it.

I hear folks talking about caulking this and that, but not sure if it accomplishes much. I realize the philosophy of it, getting rid of spaces for them to hid, but just not sure it helps a whole lot.

How many beetles are you seeing? It is not uncommon for me to see 12-16 or so when I pop a top where the bees have them corralled. Something in this area we just have to learn to live with and watch closely. When you begin to see shb move freely on comb with honey and pollen and the bees are ignoring them (not chasing) watch out :'(
John 3:16

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:03:12 am »
i saw 3-4 in 2 hives, none in the 3rd. the bees were chasing them. time to get & set some traps. i searched & have seen sandwich box traps mentioned but have not found any specific plans. i 'm guessing that the boxes have holes drilled in them but i've not seen the exact hole diameter. it also appears that the c.d. case traps are not very effective. that's too bad because under the inner cover would be a good place for a trap. beekeeping was a lot simpler back in the 70's...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:54:38 pm »
Also besides the extra open space, it is the time of the year that pollen is no longer laying all over the place and the beetles are looking for easy feed and most have come out of the ground by now from winter.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:08:21 pm »
Honestly 3-4 I do not sweat ----- that is however only for me and not a recommendation ;)
John 3:16

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 12:44:14 am »
Extra space=more unpatroled areas=more places for the shb to work their mischief.  Be careful to not expand too much too fast.  It is better to possibly lose some honey than to get greedy and lose the hive to SHB.
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:57:39 am »
i only added 1 super once they had completely filled 2 hive bodies. my strongest hive filled the 1st super in 1 week! so i added a 2nd which is nearly full. my other 2 hives have yet to fill the 1st super.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:46:24 pm »
I normally try to have honey supers off by the end of July since it is the end of the honey flow is mid July here.  But I had to pull most all by July 4th since the wife had my honey house (it's an apartment, works great but somebody had a greater need than I) and I had to hurry up and finish all extracting early.   I thought it wouldn't hurt and help out with beetles.   This afternoon at 6:30 while washing up the 4 wheeler (to get it muddy again this weekend) a swarm lands in the top of a hickory tree in the back yard.   A little late in the season and a little high for me.   But I thought crowding would help out with the beetles late in the summer.   Oh well.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 12:37:04 am »
i 'm guessing that the boxes have holes drilled in them but i've not seen the exact hole diameter.

I used an awl heated on a candle.  Figured if the bees can't get through 1/8 inch screen, they won't get through 1/8 inch holes either.  Embedded it in a piece of scrap wood to help the little buggers reach the holes.