Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new-bee  (Read 2821 times)

Offline bhough

• New Bee
new-bee
« on: May 09, 2007, 11:11:21 pm »
Dear friends,

I've been camping out on this site for weeks.  I've recently moved to Pittsburgh from Florida and have finally taken the plunge and ordered a nuc.  I have my hive prepared and have found a place to put it.  (I live on a small lot in the city).

I have a few questions that I couldn't find on this site or Michael Bush's (thanks Michael).  I've bought plastic foundation with beeswax coating, but plan on doing the crush and strain method for honey and beeswax extraction.  (can't afford a two frame extractor!).  What do you do with the foundation after you scrape off the beeswax and honey?  Wash it in soapy water?  Just put it back in the hive?

Secondly, the person I'm buying the bees from has found a place for me to put them, on a friend's farm.  If someone lives in the city, how do they find a place to put their bees?

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: new-bee
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:47:43 pm »
Crush and strain with plastic foundation?  Maybee you could use the guy's extractor that your buying bees from.  When plastic foundation needs to be renewed you just brush a light coat of melted wax back on the foundation.
As far as finding places to set bees, find an area you want to put them and then just go door to door or farm to farm and ask.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 11:52:08 pm »
Generally, Bruce, if you are going to do crush and strain, you'll need thin surplus foundation (pure beeswax).  Then there's no scraping involved, just crushing.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline bhough

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:03:43 am »
Good ideas.  Thanks guys!  I'll ask my farmer friend to use his extractor and buy a few thin wax foundations to try.
b

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:01:11 am »
Even when using crush and strain,you can keep all the plastic frames for the brood boxes.Then use wax foundation in the supers. :lol:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 09:42:30 pm »
I know of people who have scraped it off of the plastic.  I have not.  I would use thin surplus or no foundation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bhough

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:25:06 pm »
Thank you Michael and Ken.  That makes sense to re-use the plastic in the brood boxes.  I'll experiment with thin or no foundation.  Picking up the bees tomorrow morning!
b

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:48:21 pm »
I should clarify.  By no foundation, I mean some kind of comb guide (either starter strips, wooden starter strips or a triangular guide).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything