Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's the difference???  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
What's the difference???
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:54:19 pm »
Is there a difference between a swarm cell and a queen cell?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Re: What's the difference???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:07:03 pm »
It depends on the strength of the hive acebird. If you have a very strong hive that is making swarm cells, the eggs are fed from the start with royal jelly to make queens and there is lots of bees in the hive to feed and take optimum care of the queen cells.  On the other hand supercedure cells or emergency cells can be less than optimum depending on the strength of the colony if the colony is less than optimum the cells wont get feed and taken care of properly resulting in small queens that are less than ideal.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 07:43:44 pm »
a swarm cell is a queen cell that is made for the purpose of throwing a reproductive or space making swarm.
they are usually positioned on the lower edges of comb and some times along the bottom bars.

they are common in the spring and in honeybound or overcrowded hives.

other types of queen cells include supercedure and emergency queen cells that are made on the face of the combs.

all swarm cells are queen cells, but not all queen cells are swarm cells.

make sense?
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:10:41 pm »
all swarm cells are queen cells, but not all queen cells are swarm cells.

make sense?

Yes it does.

When I looked at my hive parts the distance between the bottom of one frame and the top of another was very small (maybe 1/8- 3/16).  Is that so these swarm cells will only be made at the bottom of the frames of the first deep where there is more space?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it