Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lids, with or without 3/4 space underneath?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
lids, with or without 3/4 space underneath?
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:32 pm »
what is the best type of lid, I copied a lid from a local comercial beekeeper, a migratory lid with a 3/4 lip all the way around, with a overhang front and back, when the lid is on, and pushed all the way forward there is a top opening pushed back closed, but with the 3/4 space the bees load the top with bur comb, what a mess, when I had a couple hives, not such a big deal, but as I grow the time to clean the mess is getting excessive,

is it better to have the space? and if so why? or have the migratory lid fit flush with the top of the box? and avoid the mess.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: lids, with or without 3/4 space underneath?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:36 pm »
3/8 in. space, yes.
3/4 in., no.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:59:08 pm »
The top space on a standard box with no accumulation of propolis is supposed to be 1/4" (with 1/8" at the bottom).  Since beespace is 1/4" to 3/8" in theory this is ok.  Since in reality propolis accumulates, a slight bit more works better.  3/8" total is perfect as it allows a bit of propolis to accumulate... but that is only 1/8" added to the lid...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:06:53 am »
The commercial guy must feel the cost of the space is worth it to him.  It is a place to put pollen patties and or some other reason.  Mine have 5/16th as I can get a pollen patty underneath it and It is part of my upper entrance.