Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 1884 times)

Offline evil nick

• New Bee
Hello all!
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:29 am »
New to bee keeping. Always wanted to do it but finally started attending the classes and jumped in. Got my first hive set up this year in CT.
I went with a stained look using about 8 to 9 coats of exterior grade poly to finish it.
I unfortunately had to leave for a vacation and didnt get to put a couple more coats of paint on the stand and stain the pillars (4x4s) but Im thinking if I want until early morning when its cool or late evening the bees will be in the hive and shouldnt be affected by the paint of stain to much. I intended to decorate it with some flowers to just make it nice. Something to get the girlfriend more involved as well, even though shes pretty into this.

I also had to put this in a place in my yard where its pretty shaded but I keep getting mixed answers on whether to worry. I have a very narrow yard but LONG and wanted to keep the hive away from my neighbors even though they said dont worry. I was concerned their grand kids might get stung one day and then minds could change. Its gets quite a bit of afternoon sun but morning sun is pretty minimal. At least the shade may protect the setup from rain.

I started cracking it open around day 5 and the first 2 jars of vitamin enriched sugar water were sucked dry. I replaced those and they are already half through each in a couple days. Sunday the 17th I finally noticed eggs and by all luck found the QUEEN!

They have already started gathering pollen outside and seem very disinterested in the pollen patty and left over sugar gel that was in the delivery packet. Im thinking of dumping them before they get skunky. I might remove some pollen patty and freeze it for future use if thats possible.

MY buddy who started last year wants to get in this week and treat the new eggs/bees with oxalic acid. Hes got a year in on me so Im kind of going by what hes studied already. He unfortunately lost his first hive to the strange winter we had and he presumes mites. This year the guy we bought our stuff from gave us each 10 starter frames with comb already in them to give the hives a head start and it seems to be working since they have already filled most of the cells with honey and eggs.

Now that my hello's are in order Im just curious if anyone has any tips for a starter keeper.
When should I install the next medium box and empty frames (80% full on the bottom)?
When should I remove the entrance reducer?
When should I actually treat with oxalic acid? Should I use it?
Is the sun/shade issue something to be super worried about? Will the bees just eventually work around it?
Ive noticed small ants around the hive. Im sure theyre looking for the honey and sugar water. Should I be concerned or just let the bees handle them?

Anything else you guys can think to tell me?

Thanks
Release the BEES!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:42 pm »
Looks like you are doing real well. Welcome to Beemaster. Add your location to your profile so that we can provide better answers to your questions.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:55:56 pm »

When should I install the next medium box and empty frames (80% full on the bottom)? Yes, 80% drawn.
When should I remove the entrance reducer? I do not, I keep the larger opening on them all the time.
When should I actually treat with oxalic acid? Should I use it? I do not treat but I mainly use feral hives that survive with out treatment.
Is the sun/shade issue something to be super worried about? Probably not in CT because you probably do not have small hive beetles. Early sun helps to get them up and going in the morning.
Will the bees just eventually work around it? Around what?
'Ive noticed small ants around the hive. I'm sure they're looking for the honey and sugar water. Should I be concerned or just let the bees handle them? Depends on the type of ants. Sugar ants, no, carpenter ants, Yes.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline evil nick

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 02:27:24 pm »
thanks,  Ill update the profile. I have a bad habit of never filling those out.
Release the BEES!

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:19:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Looks like you've got a great start.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:41:23 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

+1 on what sawdstmakr said.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 12:49:35 pm »
Welcome, ask as many questions as you'd like. You said you got your first hive and also mentioned about getting some drawn comb. Was this originally a package of bees (in a screened container)? If so you shouldn't have to worry about the mites until towards the end of summer beginning of fall time frame.

I use a OA vaporizer. Works great for me.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:00:35 am »
personally i wouldn't worry about extra coats of stain on the hives....strong smells seem to upset the ladies....if you decide to do it beware and veil up ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

anything