Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving large amount of nucs long distance, sugestions?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
Moving large amount of nucs long distance, sugestions?
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:24:39 am »
I have to move 165 nucs about 1800 km, night time temps expected of 30-40 f, small chance of showers,  plan is:

screen entrances after flight ends,
load 20 in back of 1/2 ton- 1/2 plywood with spacer on top of nucs, another row of 20 on top of that, another sheet of plywood with spacer on top on nucs, final row of 20 on top of plywood, then another plywood layer with space, tie down,  remainder in same configuration in open flat deck trailer with plywood at front to block wind.

Concerns are,  temperature,  will there be to much heat build up, even with temps in low 30's for most of the night, or to cold, maybe better to wait and travel during the day, temps expected of 10-20 celsius, 

Suggestions, welcome, first trip of this distance.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Moving large amount of nucs long distance, sugestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:12:35 am »
The best is to put them in a refrigerated trailer with total control over the temperatures and keep it about 40 F so they are not active, but not too cold.  Obviously in the wind is harder than in a closed trailer.  Are we jumping between C and F with the numbers?  30's during the night and 10-20 Celsius in the day sounds like the 30's are in Fahrenheit.   Assuming 30 F at night and 50-70 F in the day, I'd probably take the 50-70 in the day and hose them down a little if the day looks hot.  But it's a hard choice.  If I could have the 30 F with no wind, I'd take that...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:19:56 am »
Sorry for jumping between F-C was to early to do the math, I could not line up a refrigerated truck, could get a enclosed cargo trailer, but other beekeepers here suggested that with lack of air bees could overheat or suffer from carbon dioxide.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »
Agreed.  I would not use a closed trailer without some kind of ventilation or refrigeration.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »
the eastern mo beekeeping ass. just hauled 200 nucs from la. to mo in early april on an open flatbed trailer with no problems. i believe the night time temperature was around 40 f. with no wind cover. there was a net covering them to prevent escapbees. the net was stapled to the trailer deck.

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 08:59:58 pm »
Thanks Guys, appreciate the advice, heading out tonight, will post how things went, and if my set up worked well. 

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:09:56 pm »
With temps like that, probably little chance of it ending like this....at least I would think not   :shock:

Moots

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:52:10 pm »
NCB,
WOW....Thanks for sharing that video....that was CRAZY!

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 12:03:41 am »
I'll have to talk to John about that. He's my Mentor but he hasn't taught that trick yet. :shock: :roll: :'( d2

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:41 am »
I'll have to talk to John about that. He's my Mentor but he hasn't taught that trick yet. :shock: :roll: :'( d2

I was going to suggest a van until I thought about what john had happen to him  :lau: :hissyfit:

I glad someone tagged the video to show.

John

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 01:16:34 am »
Why would you move them without closing them in during the daylight when it's warm out??? I don't care if you used a van of truck or donkey cart, the bees will come out!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything