Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: salutations from Atlanta  (Read 2980 times)

Offline gnef

• New Bee
salutations from Atlanta
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:24:39 pm »
I am getting ready for bees for this coming spring. I have some friends that have been a great resource (and also directed me to this forum), and we have built two top bar hives, and I may also be working with a traditional langstroth hive as well. I've helped with honey extraction, and look forward to having my own bees to work with in the future.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: salutations from Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:28:26 pm »
Welcome - I hope you consider (in addition to the considerable wisdom to be found on this forum), joining the Metro Atlanta Beekeepers organization.  We are large - -150 members -- and very active with great speakers - we meet the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Botanical Garden and the meetings are very informative.  There are a few people there who do top bar hives (I'm planning on building one for next spring.)

Where are you in Atlanta?  I have three hives on my deck, two at the Blue Heron Nature Preserve and one bee tree behind Eddie's Odd Job.

Welcome to the exciting world of beekeeping in the south!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline gnef

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:30:32 pm »
I live in Tucker. I've looked at the metro atlanta beekeepers website, and will look in to it more thoroughly. I will look at the schedule and calendar, and see if I can attend anything.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »
Hello and Welcome Gnef 
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny   

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:54:09 am »
Gnef. Welcome to our forum, so great you have found us.  Entering the world of the honeybee, you will soon find out that you are held deeply under their spell, we all are.  Good that you are learning and studying about the bees.  There is a wealth of knowledge here, we all love to listen and help when asked.  Stick around, this is also a great place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love new members.  Have that wonderful and most great day, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 10:56:50 am »
Welcome, you came to the right place for getting started.
I did the same thing, I joined the forum before I got my bees and by the time spring rolled around I felt much more confident about taking up beekeeping.
It was an excellent way to get prepared and I met alot of great people too.
Good luck! :)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:38:27 pm »
Welcome fellow Georgian! I live about 30 miles south of Macon.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:18:19 pm »
Welcome gnef . One thing you will learn as a beekeeper is it is not for the lazy person. If you want to keep ahead of the bees and you put together your own equipment you will be plenty busy and now is the time to stock up. Don't make the same mistake I made in getting a bunch of bees and had only enough to get them going . My wife ask. How many of them boxes and frames are you going to have to put together ? I answered about as many again as the ones on the floor that went as high and as long as my work bench. Just to get me through the fist year. It was good experience, but I should have had them all built before I started with the bees so I was not so consumed at once. Have fun with your fascinating bees and don't forget to take pictures to share your experiences.

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:07:17 pm »
Welcome gnef and good luck next spring.

Bobby

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 11:21:07 pm »
I have to agree with Sparky that it is not for lazy people. Sometimes you just have to get up and do something with the bees like right away just when you are feeling so very tired and not in the mood.  I can't tell you how many times I practically crawled up (exaggeration!!) to my hives to take care of them. Bone tired.

I am totally committed to taking care of them properly and I never take short cuts no matter how I am feeling.

Good luck with your new adventure

Annette