Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: staples that attach the brood box to the bottom board question  (Read 7816 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
what other applications are they used in? i cant find them nowhere except the bee catalogs!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: staples that attach the brood box to the bottom board question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »
In the past, I have used Romex staples, but I do not think I have any bottom board stapled to a box now.   But the bee catalogs are the only place I know of to get them.   Bees will glue the boxes to the bottoms in time. 

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »
I have never understood the practice of stapling the bottom boards. It seems to be all to common to staple the bottom board to the deep and never move the hive. If you are migratory then yes everything needs to be stapled but for the average backyard hobbiest? Besides I do to many splits, combines and other manipulations plus I like to tear everything down at least once a year and give it a good scraping or fresh coat of oil.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:30 am »
I bought some a few years back from a fastener supply place. They called them "crate staples".

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:36:48 am »
 I think you would be a way ahead of the game if you pre drill a pilot hole and use drywall screws,that way you can remove them easy enough for cleaning or other changes you might want to make.Just my 3 cents worth.Hate to be a copycat!! :-D
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline oregonbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »
Im not a big fan of attaching the bottom boards to the brood chamber unless Im migrating my hives cause i like to clean the bottom boards every fall. Makes it easier it they are not attached.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 01:03:27 pm »
Hive staples are easily removed with the hive tool. If you use a hive lifter to relocate the hives,it sure is handy when the bottom stays on the boxes.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:48:23 pm »
i use them for swarm boxes.  staple the bottom and top together.  they come off when the hive is in place.  in a pinch, i have used the large electrical staples.  they aren't quite as good, but they got me through. 

ordered my hive staples from mann lake a few years ago.  got quite a big box of them, so they'll last a bit.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:06:00 am »
My dad is a big staple fan :brian:

I personally prefer to take a piece of scrap plywood or paneling and use some drywall screws to attach the bottom board and brood box.

Four screws on each side and it is solid.  To get it out, the cordless drill works great.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 01:11:24 am »
You can use Stainless Steel "Z" Springs, for hive clipping

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/zsprings.html

http://www.thorne.co.uk/image/data/catalogue/2012-catalogue.pdf

Look at Pg.23

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:29:48 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 12:28:49 am »
I am constantly moving hives around so I just about always staple my bottoms in place. I use a heavy duty staple gun with extra wide crown staples I seem to only be able to find at Sears. Sometimes I have to get them to order me a few packs.

For hives four boxes or more I use those really big hive staples the large bee suppliers carry. If I'm only moving a few big hives or so I'll use ratchet straps.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com