Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: uniting the hives  (Read 2218 times)

Offline mat

• House Bee
uniting the hives
« on: August 23, 2005, 01:38:08 pm »
I red that you can unite two families with news paper without removing one of the queens. The queens will fight, and stronger will stay. Is there a risk of losing both of them, or that the winer will be so exhausted or injured that would be worse than the loser?
mat

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
uniting the hives
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:13:52 pm »
Mat -

You should remove one. Kill her and leave the body behind. Pretty sad.  Or just take her two miles away and set her free.

You can do this as you have described, but the risk is higher that you may  result in injured queen remaining or two dead queens.  This is an OK method when one of the queens is atleast two years older that the one you want to succeed, because the younger queen will have a stronger pheramone.

If you can, but your most vibrant, healthiest queen on top (Or above the newspapers)  the newspapers should be sliced with a razor blade to allow the scents to mingle.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
uniting the hives
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 02:31:51 pm »
>I red that you can unite two families with news paper without removing one of the queens.

You can.

>The queens will fight, and stronger will stay.

Correct.

>Is there a risk of losing both of them, or that the winer will be so exhausted or injured that would be worse than the loser?

It is possible that they both could get killed.  It's more likely that one will survive.  It makes sense to pick the queen YOU want and remove the one you like less to insure you get the genetics you want.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mat

• House Bee
uniting the hives
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 04:51:07 pm »
Thank you. Fortunately both are marked so shouldn't have problems finding them. I hate to kill one, so I rather take one and let go far away.
mat

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
uniting the hives
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 06:15:58 pm »
She'll die of cold or starvation if you do that.  Why not drop her in a jar of alcohol and give her a swift but useful end when you use it as swarm lure?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mat

• House Bee
uniting the hives
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 06:58:16 pm »
I think you're right Micheal, thanks.
mat

Offline bristopen

• New Bee
Re: uniting the hives