Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Primrose? Unknown plant?  (Read 3383 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Primrose? Unknown plant?
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:15:28 pm »
Earlier this week I noticed an unknown yellow flower growing in a spot we don't often mow. I've no idea what this is.

Offline mark

• House Bee
Re: Primrose? Unknown plant?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:55:18 pm »
EVENING primrose.   

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:01:15 pm »
YUP, evening primrose.  Smells really nice, long taproot, probably drough resistant as it grows all over my driveway w/no additional water from me. If you run over it or break it it keeps on growing only shorter!  Bees like it in the early am, don't see tons but steady. Has lots of pollen.  I'm moving it to the outer parts of the property.  Next year gonna see what happens if I prune it all the time, will it make a bush??  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:48:43 pm »
Absolutely Evening Primrose, an invasive species of plant for sure and drought resistant.  Jody, I think you could make what they call a standard of it.  Many plants can be pruned to make a bush, you just have to keep pinching out any new growth, like early in the season.  Everywhere you pinch the new growth that will divide to make two more stems with leaves coming, and you keep pinching out all new growth and you have a lovely bush.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, love life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 03:33:50 pm »
Mine bloomed in June. Yours must be volunteers from a neighbor and bllomed w/in the same season as seeding. Unusual.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:13:52 pm »
Ours has a long, long blooming time.  They started last month & will keep on till it freezes hard.  Gonna move em along the back of the house & garage where nothing else will grow!  They are easier to transplant before they get the taproot going!   Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

anything