Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: buying supplies  (Read 3510 times)

Offline turando

• New Bee
buying supplies
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:18:16 pm »
Hi,

I'm a new beekeeper in Melbourne. Got 4 hives now (caught the swarm out of one of my hives). I want to get some more hive boxes and have seen mention of ready to assemble boxes. Is it much cheaper to do it yourself? I've spent a fair bit on all the equipment / hives etc so want to try to keep costs down as much as possible now or it will be a very expensive honey. Also where do I find these ready to assemble boxes? Are they hard to assemble?

Thanks and looking forward to interacting with you all. Been reading old topics :)

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
Re: buying supplies
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:21:28 am »
Its a long shot but you could try googling beekeeping supplies Australia.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:21:23 am »
Hi,

I bought my first hive all done and made for me and it cost a fair bit. I was happy to pay it as the bloke who made it has beena lot of help and I'm happy to have supported him a little. It is significantly cheaper to do it yourself. The ready to assemble boxes here are about $29 then the frames need making and the box painting etc.. its a fair bit of work but good if you like that kinda thing.

There seems to be a fair few dealers in victoria i have bought from bobs beekeeping and they were very helpful and edficient. Sadly the postage costs to Tasmania dont really justify buying stuff mail order for me. 😊

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:27:37 pm »

Sadly the postage costs to Tasmania dont really justify buying stuff mail order for me. 😊

Find someone going on the spirit and get them to  stuff in the car boot for you
where r u in tassie my brother in spreyton has just built swarm traps and bought boxes
get together with others and share the frieght >
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:21:57 pm »
Hi yeah thought of that but the local supplier isnt that much more expensive so I'm happy to use them for the day to day stuff  :happy:

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:16 am »
Redpaths in Melbourne is as good as it gets for small supplies.
Bees are not that fussy, so you could build your own out of pine. I have some hives that have 19mm sides because it was cheap, $2.60 a metre. It was 220x19, so i added a strip (glued and nailed) to get it to 250 for hives and 240 for supers

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:21 am »
Try Nuplas Plastic bee hives. they are in Vic. You can assemble 3 boxes in 10 mins Lids and bases already assembled

http://www.nuplas.com.au/
-= The Urban Beekeeper =-

anything