Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Introducing packaged bees and medicating  (Read 3939 times)

Offline lookoutwest

• New Bee
Introducing packaged bees and medicating
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:01:46 pm »
Hello, this is my first post and this spring will be my first time using packaged bees.  It has been several years since I had bees, but it is time to get back into the swing of things.  I think that I can get through the installing of the bees, but I need some guidance on what if any medication the new bees will need.  Hives will be in South central Missouri along the Arkansas line.  Thanks for anyhelp!!   
den

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Introducing packaged bees and medicating
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:10:48 pm »
Around here about the only thing they give to a package is fumiagilin-B for dysentary reasons. I hive without it with no problems.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:06:05 pm »
i don't give anything.  if you feed when you hive them, they'll run the poop thorough quickly.  it's not dysentery, it's just a back up from travel  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »
Don't give them any meds.  If they get so sick that the law requires you to medicate them just burn them hive and all and start over fresh.
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:16 pm »
somewhere between 'burn them' and 'medicate them' there is probably a happy medium.   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lookoutwest

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:50:46 pm »
Thank for the info.  Sure would hate to burn the little critters.  On the other hand to me all meds are posion in someway.  Would the suggestion be to just feed them and wait and see how they do?     
den

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »
that's what i would do.  i have no problem with  medications when needed, but i don't use them otherwise.  there is a lot of good info on here about how to end up medication free.  i think i have pretty much gotten there (fingers crossed), but it meant swapping out my package bees for those i caught and cut out of buildings/trees, etc. 

you'll find what works for you if you use good sense and take your time.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:08:54 am »
Do you want to medicate them?  Or are you just feeling like you need to?  I never medicate them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:21:31 am »
for what it's worth, the information to medicate packaged bees in feed with antibiotics to act as a preventative for foul brood is floating around. although not practiced by the majority here on beemaster, its not unheard of at websites like baldwinbees.com I won't use it myself. While not necessary, some thing I haven't tried but will this season before installing packages in their homes is checking for mites with powered sugar. here's one way to do it from baldwinbees.

place a serving tray down on the ground, turn package screen side up on the tray, sprinkle a ¼ to ½ cup of powdered sugar through the screen allowing it to cover the bees. The mites will release and fall through the screen on to the tray along with the powdered sugar. Pour contents from the tray in to a water to see what you find. The sugar will wash off the mites making them appear in the water. If the mite count is high (20 to 35) you may want to treat all your packages for mite using this same method.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:23:01 pm »
For what it's worth,maybe hitting the packaged bees with oxalic would be a good thing with no combs and no brood.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:01 pm »
Welcome to our forum, great you have found us, you will love to spend time here.  Have that most wonderful day, with wonderful health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service