Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: These Bees made Me Rent A Bucket Lift!!!  (Read 3801 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
These Bees made Me Rent A Bucket Lift!!!
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:34:04 pm »
This colony was in a wall void with a stucco exterior. The hive was about 25' up or so, and the homeowner wanted everything done from the outside.

I rented a bucket lift for the job, the tow behind type.

The bees had been there about 6 months according to the homeowner, and were very nice bees.

I saw the queen half way in but she moved and hid on me up to the very end, when I was able to catch her. Her pattern is not awefully impressive so I will need to keep an eye on her, but she is big, plump and juicy, just like I like them.

Lots of pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/April222008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: These Bees made Me Rent A Bucket Lift!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58:15 am »
These are just the best ever photos. Really thrilling and I cannot believe how high up that was. Oh that poor house you had to take apart and what a beautiful bee hive that was.

And a beautiful neighborhood with nice houses.

Thanks for the thrill. (see it is easy to please me)

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:01:01 am »
Annette, I met a contractor that can fix just about anything. He does great work and he will be repairing and painting the stucco. Its nice to have such good connections. I met him on a job that was a referral from a friend.

I don't mind working heights as long as I'm secure, I kinda like the bucket trucks. They help you get the job done and you can't beat the view from up there.

I included the pics of the houses because I thought they were pretty cool. They are older houses for sure of historical value to the area. Some are over 100 yrs old.

Whenever I do these jobs, I take lots of pics so I can show all of my forum friends. I am excited to share them with you all.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:36:07 am »
JP, I think that you are officially nuts!!!  If I were to get in that great big bucket that far in the air, no matter how well restrained, I know that I would fall out, eeks!!!  Those pictures that you bring on to us are nothing short of astounding and scare the dickens out of me, hee, hee.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful, safe day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:29:42 pm »
Ain't just amazing the tools we have to use to get bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:45:13 pm »
Ain't just amazing the tools we have to use to get bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Dude, I bought a rotozip today, I'm in heaven!!! Tooools, gotta love 'em!!!

...JP

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:46:28 pm »
I have a dremel. Same basic idea. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:45 pm »
I have a dremel. Same basic idea. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Yep, only thing I wasn't prepared for was the amount of sawdust that flew everywhere including my eye, note to self wear eye protection.

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:10:34 pm »
OOOhhh< rotozip just sounds fun! Great word...rotozip rotozip!! Shame on you JP for not wearing protection!  :-x  :-xYou never know whats going to happen! Imagine doing yourcut outs by braille??  :?  My hubby promised to put together my hives before my bees came..well he was off in Ohio & I had 2 days to put 12 supers & frames & paint. Soooooo HAD to get an air stapler..heh heh heh :evil: :evil:I put everything together in a day then painted.  There weren't any instructions, just a pallet of wooden parts so I had things left over from the bottom boards & migratory tops. Bob the builder I'm not but they won't fall apart any time soon!  Didn't end up using the bottom boards or tops as I had screened ones & telescoping tops too.  If I ever figure out what goes where I'll have parts in case of swarms!! Some (well everyone who knows me) would say I'm mechanically challenged..have always hated puzzles & stuff like that.  Give me animals/bugs/plants/dirt or kids though & off I go! Could stitch you up after you stab yourselves w/dremel, rotozips or Cindi's snips!! :-D   Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:04:38 pm »
OOOhhh< rotozip just sounds fun! Great word...rotozip rotozip!! Shame on you JP for not wearing protection!  :-x  :-xYou never know whats going to happen! Imagine doing yourcut outs by braille??  :?  My hubby promised to put together my hives before my bees came..well he was off in Ohio & I had 2 days to put 12 supers & frames & paint. Soooooo HAD to get an air stapler..heh heh heh :evil: :evil:I put everything together in a day then painted.  There weren't any instructions, just a pallet of wooden parts so I had things left over from the bottom boards & migratory tops. Bob the builder I'm not but they won't fall apart any time soon!  Didn't end up using the bottom boards or tops as I had screened ones & telescoping tops too.  If I ever figure out what goes where I'll have parts in case of swarms!! Some (well everyone who knows me) would say I'm mechanically challenged..have always hated puzzles & stuff like that.  Give me animals/bugs/plants/dirt or kids though & off I go! Could stitch you up after you stab yourselves w/dremel, rotozips or Cindi's snips!! :-D   Jody

Jody, the rotozip is cool, very cool. I could have used you on the job I cut my leg on, I'll keep you in mind for the next mishap. :-D  I could work my bees if I were blind, just couldn't do any cut-outs.

I like that all you gals on this site like to get dirty, real women, doing your thing, harvesting eggs, growing stuff, milking minature cows, raising bats. My kind of women.

...JP

...JP