Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just want to pass on something I discovered.  (Read 1789 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Just want to pass on something I discovered.
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:41:07 pm »
I've been reading the posts about moisture content in the honey crop being above the normal value of 18.6%. This prompted me to purchase a refractometer just to be on the safe side.
Anyway, last year my first small crop was treated like gold. We put it in 8oz jars and gave it away as gifts to friends and family. We saved ourselves one small bottle just to prove that we did have a crop. Kinda like someone keeping their first earned dollar. This years honey did test @19.3%. I decided to open the saved prized sample and test it. Well it tested 19.3% and tasted just as good as the day it was bottled. This has put to rest my concerns about the fermentation of honey at these moisture levels.
Later,
Ray

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Just want to pass on something I discovered.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:30 pm »
I have been wondering if the types of sugar used to make the honey make enough of a difference that it can be capped at the higher levels with out fermenting. That is what your honey seems to be proving.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:21:43 am »
i would think that if it were going to ferment we'd already be seeing threads about it.  i just crush and strained mine and went with it.  no problems.  i'll probably be pulling a couple of supers around the 1st of september, i've had less rain lately  and drier air is in the forecast for next week.  i'm going to be watching a couple of hives pretty closely.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:41:05 am »
I read somewhere that nectar from different plants can produce honey of varying moisture content.  I think the article said there is one type of clover that will consistently produce honey with a moisture content over 20% and be fine.  I think it has something to do with the type of sugars in the nectar.  Just like not all types of honey crystallize at the same rate.
linda d

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:47:17 am »
Anyway, last year my first small crop was treated like gold. We put it in 8oz jars and gave it away as gifts to friends and family.

That is how you treat gold? boy you are one heck of a friend and family member......

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:57:26 am »
Anyway, last year my first small crop was treated like gold. We put it in 8oz jars and gave it away as gifts to friends and family.

That is how you treat gold? boy you are one heck of a friend and family member......

LOL, Yeah BtBtn I guess you could say that. I prepared myself for a couple of years. Read books, lurked around a couple different sites.
That first single super tasted so good we couldn't keep it to ourselves.
Later,
Ray

anything