Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive top or division board feeders  (Read 3986 times)

Offline T.J.

• New Bee
hive top or division board feeders
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »
of the two which do you prefer and why when installing packages?
thanks,
T.J.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: hive top or division board feeders
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:42:35 pm »
I’m not a big fan of the few division board feeders I have purchased.  The product I bought was dimensionally unstable and bowed like a row boat.  This is probably not always the case.  A couple more things I don’t like: division feeders take up hive room and drown bees.  That said, I haven’t tried the offerings from everybody, and maybe somebody does make a good division feeder.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline T.J.

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:45:05 pm »
BlueBee & Mr. Bush,

thanks for the help & advice on this and my other topic about frames & foundation.i really appreciate it.

after reading some on Mr. Bush's' site i may just try baggie feeding.the only reason i want to feed is to help build up my packages.i hope they can build up and i can leave the stores with them.i dont care if i get any honey the first year or maybe even the first few years as i want to increase the number of colonies first.

thanks again,
T.J.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:56:13 pm »
I have used them all.   I have only used division board feeders the last several years.  Easy to use.   Easy to fill.   No buckets of empty baggies to keep up with.  I had a problem with sugar ants getting into the top feeders.   Also the cost of them with growing numbers of hives.   Division board feeders were much cheaper.     

Offline T.J.

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:27:54 pm »
AllenF,
thanks for the info.i appreciate it.

i guess the only way to really know is to do like you and try them all.

i have also found that there are not that many medium division board feeders to choose from.i found one in the Kelly's catalog with a wire insert that takes the place of two frames.i may order a couple of them and try them out.

if i do that i will basically be starting the packages out in a 6 frame medium nuc.wonder how that would work?

thanks again,
T.J.

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:52:24 am »
I use division board feeders on my week hives and jars on the top of my strong ones.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:55:01 am »
of the two which do you prefer and why when installing packages?
thanks,
T.J.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/feeder-compare/

My prefer is the inverted jar provides access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, regardless of temperature. The bees can cluster right up to the bottom of the feeder and continue to feed without breaking cluster.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:32:55 pm »
I use hive top feeders - easy to refill without opening up the hive, fewer spills, hold fairly large amounts.  The wooden ones tend to mildew.  

I like the inverted bucket feeders even better (hold even more, easier to clean) but I use horizontal hives with migratory tops - no inner cover to rest them on!

The biggest commercial keeper in my area swears by division board feeders, and I've seen him leave them filled next to a cluster over winter.  They tend to drown a lot of bees initially, but eventually the corpses form a raft.  Looks like they work fine but I have too many hives scattered across the county to want to make that many refilling trips.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline T.J.

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:05:57 pm »
thanks for all the help.i appreciate it.

the guy i am getting some of my packages from has talked about using buckets.i just wasn't sure how that worked.i guess i need to talk to him some more & see just how exactly they work....what size,etc.

thanks again,
T.J.

edit to add:Jim134 - thanks for the link.good info there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:18:15 pm by T.J. »