Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Failed  (Read 1787 times)

Greywulff

Queen Failed
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:25:44 pm »
Hi,

Ten out of the original 18 queen cells have hatch today. (day 15) absolutely delighted with myself..

Looked at the other cells and noticed that 2 out of all the 18 cells had a white substance in the very bottom of the cells which could be seen through the back of the brown cell cup of the nicot box system. I had to see what this was  :? and as I only ever intended making 12 nucs prised one apart. The young queen was identifiable but was still white and shrived looking not fitting the cell by a long shot. She was or seemed to be dead.

All of the hatched and still unhatched cells bar these two have little or no white substance visible through the back of the cell cups. What is it? Feed or something....

I am assuming that if this white substance is feed and there is little or no sign of it in all the rest of the cells I can hope for 6 more cells to hatch tomorrow. Well fingers crossed anyway.

Just to recap here.

I put in 20 cells into a 9 frame hive which was brimming with bees. They came from the nicot box.

18 cells were formed and capped, 2 had failed.

Day 15 and 10 cells hatched by 4 o'clock.

And this is my first time to attempt rearing queens  This is so cool..  8-) 8-) 8-)