Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extracting and filtering help  (Read 2917 times)

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
extracting and filtering help
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:13 pm »
I need some advice. I bought kelly's hobbyist extraction kit, I know, I know next i'll be wanting a stainless four frame. it came with the fine and coarse filters that can stack. I need a quick walk through. Do I filter as I drain from the extractor to bucket? Do I drain that into a "bottling bucket" and filter then? any help would be appreciated. I finally got full supers and want to get it extracted out.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Moots

Re: extracting and filtering help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »
forrest,
Understand, as with everything in beekeeping, everyone has there own way of doing things, and there's no one right way.  Second, understand that I'm a newbie myself and just did my first extraction this past weekend and will probably start bottling tomorrow.

So, weigh that according while taking my advice.  :-D

I used the coarse strainer (600 microns) only, I placed it onto the 5 gallon bucket that it drained into coming out of the extractor.  Plan is to let is settle for a few days, skim the wax off the top, and bottle.

As danno mentioned it another thread where I was raising questions on this same topic...If you use a bucket heater, or as he suggested, an old waterbed heater, it will help the process and speed the settle time needed to have the air bubbles and wax particles float to the top, as well as help the honey flow for the bottling.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:19:00 am »
how much you filter depends on what you want in it.  i prefer to leave as much in it as i can without to many legs, heads, etc.  i prefer to filter as i extract.  i run it though a paint filter into whatever i am using for filling bottles.  usually a 5 gallon bucket.  you can do all kinds of things with the bucket set up.  there are lots of ideas on here.
i just stretch the paint filter down over the sides of the bucket and use clothespins on top to keep if from slipping down if it gets heavy. it doesn't leave a huge area for honey, so you have to watch as you drain it down that you don't overflow, but that only happens if the honey is cold or there is a lot of gunk in it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:48:02 am »
i'm looking to keep the pollen in and the legs, heads, etc out.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:34 pm »
i'm looking to keep the pollen in and the legs, heads, etc out.
You don't like crunchy?

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:37:38 pm »
I figure to sell smooth and crunchy, kinda like peanut butter.  ;)
I did manage to get two supers off today before the thunder rumbled. I see a fume board in my future for next year. I lightly smoked, pulled and shook and then used a brush. Probably not the correct way, but I got them off. They are a upset at the moment though. I have one left to pull if the weather cooperates tomorrow.
I was not expecting the weight of two full shallow supers, I couldn't pick them up and I left patients (EMS) for a living. I
m thinking they're slightly more than 30 lbs.

anything