Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lap top dim  (Read 3969 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
lap top dim
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:17:22 pm »
Hi, I have gateway laptop and the screen has gone dim. If you look closely you can see the stuff on the screen. Any ideas as to what it could be and how expensive it may to repair

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Re: lap top dim
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:08:59 pm »
Hello... anyone?

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:30:56 pm »
I dont know sean.....But, you might try wiggling the wires...Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. If it flickers when you wiggle it then you should put a new wire in...If this works, it saves you the cost of getting it fixed by an expert!
your friend,
john

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:32:23 pm »
You didn't mention if that occurs during BATTERY USE or PLUGGED IN USE or BOTH.

If on Battery, then it is likely the power-saver feature kicking in, used to extend life about 25% above full brightness. You right click on desktop, choose POWER OPTIONS in the control panel. It recognises that you have unplugged the laptop from AC source and reduces screen brightness to extend power.

If you are plugged into AC power, then I don't have a clue. Hope this helped
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:55 pm »
Oh yeh.......  :roll:...laptop.....Dumb me....Ignore everything I said about wiggling wires...Youd have to tear it apart to wiggle them!
your friend,
john

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 01:57:45 pm »
So far nothing. Someone said it might some lamp/bulb that lights up the screen,

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:51 pm »
ok been doing some more research. It seem that either the voltage inverter or backlight for the LCD is burnt out. I am now trying to see if either of those thingys can be replaced from another brand laptop

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:23:29 am »
Sean I don't know much about Gateways, but generally parts like that are not easy to interchange from other brands. Not saying it's impossible though.
How old is the laptop? If it's old, there will come a time when it's cheaper to source an identical one via eBay than it is to buy the parts from the manufacturer. Then simply exchange the hard drive from your current laptop into the secondhand laptop (must be identical though) and off you go. If yours is only a couple of years old though, cheapest option is usually buying the parts.
I've done a few repairs like this on other laptops, and often it's a tricky repair, with multiple cables, wires, some delicate foil/shielding etc. Not the kind of thing someone without experience wants to try. If you haven't spent much time inside laptops, would be safer to take it to an expert.
Good luck.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:03:56 pm »
ok thanks. I think i am going the route of connecting it to my tv. will lose the mobility but it seem to be the cheapst option

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:03 pm »
Good thinking Sean.
Alternatively you could pick up an old 15' CRT computer monitor for just a few dollars, if not for free - if you here were in Australia I could give you any number of nice 15 or 17" models!