Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beelining in Edgewater, FL  (Read 12825 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Beelining in Edgewater, FL
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:08:56 pm »
This was our first shot at bee-lining and it worked great! It took about 6 hrs or so but we ended up finding a well hidden bee yard with over 400 hives 2 1/2 mi away.

Beelining.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Beelining in Edgewater, FL
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »
Man Scott, you guys outdid yourselves on this one. Helped Doug out big time! Just loved this video you guys put together. It was a lot of fun following you on your journey to find the bee's home.

Very well done & two thumbs up!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:00:52 pm »
Thanks Bro...glad you liked it! We had a lot of fun with it and learned a new tool for working bees.

It turns out that the beekeeper is really well known and a bit nefarious. He's tried to sneak bees into Doug's area several times in years past but this time he got caught :-D Peggy told his crew "Tell your boss that there is no place he can hide bees that we couldn't find them." I hope he has learned a lesson!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:20:56 am »
Good job.

Jim Fischer would be proud.  :)
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:49:44 am »
Mate what a good job. You guys are damm patient!

So now you found them what happens? Were the hives on the beekeepers property?

Thanks for video, very interesting.
Shane

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 08:19:37 am »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat lesson
and Shane is right
You guys are damm patient
But I guess, its the only way to be...........
Bee Busters :-D

Thanks
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:38:01 am »
super sluth strikes. goodun scott and peg  next meeting youall find them and then we get to watch the others get them out
to bee or not to bee

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 08:48:44 am »
Sounds like fun Bud!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:11 am »
Not to be a sour puss but does the guy really have to move his apiary just because y'all found them? Is it not legal for him to keep them there? It would seem to me that he would possibly move them as a kind gesture to keep the peace with Doug but is he really in the wrong here?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 01:00:44 pm »
That was awesome Scott and Peggy.

I keep seeing bees at the farm when I don't have bees there. Several times I watched them collect pollen from the bahia grass and watched until they were full of pollen and then I would see them head SW towards the forest. I would like to bee able to collect the feral hives that get left behind from the gig bee companies that keep there bees there in the spring. They all went the same direction. I suspect from the point you made that it would bee very hard to follow them thought the forest.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:41:24 pm »
Not to be a sour puss but does the guy really have to move his apiary just because y'all found them? Is it not legal for him to keep them there? It would seem to me that he would possibly move them as a kind gesture to keep the peace with Doug but is he really in the wrong here?
...JP

Good question JP. What's stopping the owner from saying, "Well, I can't control my bees so they're staying where they are"?
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 02:17:09 pm »
JP, This apiary borders (right on the line) the Edgewater border. The city has anti bee laws that are old and generally not enforced but could come into play here. The county also has nuisance animal laws if need be.

It's not so much that the beek is acting illegally, but rather unethically. As I wrote, he's been known to pull this in the past. He's moving them south anyway so it's all moot for now.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:38 pm »
Cool Y'all. My uncle used to tell me that he would dust them with flour or powdered sugar so that they would be white and easier to see as they flew away. I never have tried it but he was a straight shooter and I believe it would work.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 09:12:43 pm »
Cool Vid,  I grew up bee lining with the oldtimers just used sugar water in pie tins set on fence posts to track them,  neat idea playing catch and release like that!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »

...JP

Almost all of Florida is a NO BUZZ ZONES
Bossier City, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Are all so no NO BUZZ ZONES  

http://www.beeculture.com/content/No%206-1-10.pdf

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/bees/illegal-urban-beekeeping-0602

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »
Amazing.   You need good eyes to work that.  Thanks for the video.

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 10:20:17 pm »
Scott
(most towns)North Dakota have NO BUZZ ZONES.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 11:48:13 am »
Way cool :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 01:23:46 pm »
Nice video. I would really like to try this sometime. I have bees that come and rob the honey dripped in the bed of my truck when it is parked at work, I always wondered where the hive is.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Joe
Joe S.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:56 pm »

Almost all of Florida is a NO BUZZ ZONES

HHmmm that's the first I've heard of that. Very interesting!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

anything