Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chewed Holes on front of hive: Small Hive Beetle?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline neurobee

• New Bee
    • To Bee in the Heights
Chewed Holes on front of hive: Small Hive Beetle?
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »
I remember reading somewhere that small hive beetles can chew holes in the woodenware. Well, when I removed my hive top feeder, I found two drone cell diameter sized holes about 1/4 inch deep into the front face of the wood. My assumption was that this was caused by SHB, so I just bought a SHB trap. I have never seen any SHB larvae or fermented honey in combs. Are my assumptions likely correct?

The other thing that it could be is perhaps ants. I have seen several larger sized black ants around the outside of the hives. The bees though seem to do a good job of keeping them out of the hive because I have only seen them on the outside or around the edges of the hive top feeder.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Chewed Holes on front of hive: Small Hive Beetle?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:46 pm »
We have lots of SHB in Georgia and I've never seen woodenware destroyed or bored through by them.  They do make a mess of the honey in a weak hive, but mostly I see them corralled by the bees into propolized spaces under frame top bars or in the corner of the telescoping cover.  No wood holes, though.  

You have to have a large number of small hive beetles to have damage that's noticeable - at least in terms of the fermented honey - which by the way has a distinctive smell of Orange Crush.  

It has to be pretty hot for the SHB to come out. I haven't seen ANY in Georgia yet this year and I have hives in three different parts of the state - they usually show up in mid June or later here in Georgia - since you are in Cleveland, it is likely not hot enough yet for them to come out.

I think you have some other problem/intruder than SHB.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:40:31 pm »
Was there any white cocoons at the holes?   Might be wax moths?   Not SHB with making holes, but they will hide in them.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:48:46 pm »
This is what I found that caused the holes or curve outs on the inside. I watched a bee cutting into the wood. they are getting at the pulp to make propulus. some bees are lazyer than others and wont go out to get it if the can smell it in the box walls. my uncle aged and rubbed wax into the walls this stops 90 percent of it.( learn this from my uncle more than 40 years ago.)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »
I haven't seen ANY in Georgia yet this year and I have hives in three different parts of the state

I have found 3 in my 2 hive this year so far.

James
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:13:37 pm by jmblakeney »
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:18:10 pm »
Plenty hot for shb in SC if that what it takes and I see plenty already. Also see them in the fall and the winter if I disturb the cluster.
Anyway your problem is not shb. Never seen them cut wood and I have seen more than I want to see.
John 3:16

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:14 am »
Carpenter bees??

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:33 am »
I haven't seen ANY in Georgia yet this year and I have hives in three different parts of the state

I have found 3 in my 2 hive this year so far.

James

If 3 is all you find, your doing good. Wait til the dearth and then they will be here full force.