Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Beek from Southern Middle TN  (Read 2561 times)

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
New Beek from Southern Middle TN
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:41:26 pm »
Howdy!!!!
Brand new to the forum so still stumbling around. Brand new to bee keeping that began when I received a frantic call from a neighbor this last May asking if I still wanted bees. That there was a swarm in their bushes. Not having a clue what I was doing, I managed to capture it and get them settled into one of the hives I had purchased several years before my spouse passed away.
A bit about myself, I am widowed 3 years now. The late hubby had worked bees as a teen in the mid '50s, before I was even born. He always said he wanted to show me how, but as far as we ever got was to purchase the equipment - medium 8 frame hives and beginners kit. I had to replace the "kit" this spring after a house fire destroyed most everything. The hives were in a different building thankfully.
I run (or try to) a cattle ranch as my profession. Have about a 60-70 cow herd running on 600 acres along with far too many horses. There are a few goats, poultry and my rather large pack of mutts ...and a few cats.
Always a bit of a homesteader at heart and an avid gardener, bees were something I have wanted to try despite being terrified as a child of stinging insects.
So I am essentially learning by reading profusely and "on the job training". A couple weeks ago a different neighbor contacted me with a small swarm in his yard. Successfully managed to get that one home as well and it is trying to build in the second hive. I am sure I will have many questions concerning getting that one through the winter.
My biggest recent thrill was I finally saw the queen of the bigger hive. They sure can move fast!!!
So I hope you all can put up with me and many stupid questions. I now will buckle down and start reading. One member here already cleared up some of my confusion as to bee behavior via their blog before I started to panic that there was something really wrong. This IS farming country and spraying is common.

MsCarol in presently soggy southern middle TN

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: New Beek from Southern Middle TN
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:15:23 pm »
Howdy Neighbor. Welcome to Beemaster.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:28:57 pm »
Welcome to the forum MsCarol.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:13:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Ms Carol.  You may want to join a local bee club also, they can bee a big help.  If you have any questions, just post em here, someone will give you an answer.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 03:16:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  :cheer:   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:14:46 pm »
Welcome from Northern Middle TN. Wish you well. Ask any questions you like. The only stupid/dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.  :-D This is a nice place to find good answers.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:46:13 pm »
Welcome MsCarol!  I'm also in soggy middle TN (Woodbury). This is definitely the site to ask questions, & to just read & learn.  You'll enjoy it!

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 11:56:46 pm »
Welcome, MsCarol; you sound like one tough cookie! Running a farm and surviving a house fire, God love ya!

And, DEFINITELY find your local Bee Club(s); you should be able to find some local help, and hopefully a mentor!

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:25 pm »
Welcome - a little late on my behalf.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline adkotahajesban

• New Bee
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:29:39 pm »
Welcome to the forums!

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 12:33:17 am »
A warm welcome to the forum. There its truly a wealth of information here and experienced beekeepers willing to share knowledge.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 08:28:09 am »
Welcome to the forum MsCarol. Don't think that your question are stupid, we all probably asked someone the same ones some where along the line. Someone else helped u and now we can do the same. It's called pass it forward.

It is better to be soggy than bone dry. Costs a whole lots less to feed our cattle when it is soggy than when it is bone dry.  :) Last year it was so dry that my 1 acre pond dropped more than 4 feet, even the dry hydrant pipe was in the air. This year it has been over flowing a lot.  :-D Last year I was buying hay and feed, this year they cannot keep the grass down and pick only the choosiest parts.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything