Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Ob Hive  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
My Ob Hive
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »
Just got it set up tonight, The bees will go in tomorrow. I'm glad it fits, there's *just* enough room between the top and the ceiling to get it in and out. I can't put it any lower without bringing it into the room and running some PVC out through the window...it's sitting right on the sill.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: My Ob Hive
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:40:03 pm »
That is so cool!  Looks like you are gonna have some happy bees!!  8-)  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:11:00 am »
Moonshae.  Now that is one beautiful piece of woodenware, yeah!!!  Have the most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:24:42 pm »
Moonshea, I can see why that is your happy place. Bees and 90 proof. Yeeaaahhh Buddddy!!!
Anyway, that kinda makes my OB hive and I look like the fat kids on the block. That is one sweet ride there for sure.
Congrats and get us some pics after you get the bees in it.
Don't mean to pry, but did you say that was a birthday gift or something like that from the Mrs?
What a woman!!
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 02:28:53 pm »
Nice! And free range of the bar, amaretto honey? Sounds good to me.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 04:04:30 pm »
 Man, THAT is NICE!!!
 That is a really good picture too,..The liquor, the air conditioner,...The bee hive...
Cant wait to see it again with bees in it!
 Looks like a real nice home setting!
your friend,
john

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:06:19 pm »
Moonshea, I can see why that is your happy place. Bees and 90 proof. Yeeaaahhh Buddddy!!!
Anyway, that kinda makes my OB hive and I look like the fat kids on the block. That is one sweet ride there for sure.
Congrats and get us some pics after you get the bees in it.
Don't mean to pry, but did you say that was a birthday gift or something like that from the Mrs?
What a woman!!
F

Haha! I got the Everclear to make a tincture jar for my old queens...that was the smallest bottle they had, so it is going to last for a long, long time.

I actually bought it with the proceeds from a few cutouts. There's something to be said for charging for the work!

Here's the populated hive, with a starter strip thrown in to give them something to do.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:54:18 pm by Moonshae »
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:12:51 pm »
That ob hive is beautiful.  I am very jealous.

I can't help but think that there will be NO ball playing or rough housing in that room though. A broken window there could have dire consequences.

Steve

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:43:01 pm »
Those are nice.  I couldn't afford to buy one so I built mine.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:10 am »
Ross, that one is sweet... Tell me how are you guys getting the bees out when they rotate on a point like that. I think that I can see the feeder down there on the bottom side, but how are you guys getting them out. I have not been able to see one up close and it is driving me crazy. I know that if I could see one I could build it, I am just hitting a brain block....
Let me know and thanks
F

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:14:01 am »
Wow both of them are really nice!  You guys keep posting pictures and i'm sure i'm gonna know what my winter woodworking project is gonna be. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 08:26:04 am »
Tell me how are you guys getting the bees out when they rotate on a point like that.

The entrance pipe is the swivel on the bottom.  The whole hive just spins around the entrance pipe, that never moves.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:19:46 am »
Common plastic bathroom sink flange and paste wax....

www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:41:22 am »
Ok, so the swivel is the entrance and it doesn't move..... Ok, I think that takes care of it for me, we'll see how this works.
F

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:55:19 pm »
That ob hive is beautiful.  I am very jealous.

I can't help but think that there will be NO ball playing or rough housing in that room though. A broken window there could have dire consequences.

Steve

I can guarantee the wife and I won't be playing ball or rough housing in the dining room, regardless. :P