Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screened bottom boards  (Read 2379 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Screened bottom boards
« on: February 24, 2007, 05:49:26 am »
I made this Screened bottom board after reading a post by twt about the dartington hives.  I liked the idea of an entrance that doesn't allow the wind to blow right in.  I don't like the completely open bottom though, and my hives sit on solid wood stands anyway so it won't work for me.  I added a slide out tray for varroa counts and cleaning.  The screen is not on yet because I am trying to build removable screens so they don't rust when I do formic acid treatments.  I used cedar to help with mould in the hive.

Twt did you make some up? how did they work for you with this type of entrance?  I liked the idea of it, and may make the side entrance like the ones in your post.                                  BEE C

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Screened bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:58:54 am »
Are bees able to keep bottom clean? If not, rubbish will bet mold and what ever. Cedar will not hinder that.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Re: Screened bottom boards
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:53:34 am »
Hey finsky,
Apparently the slide out tray keeps things tidy, and can be completely disassembled, its floor is removable strips.  I have overwintered my hives in a crude bb this year and it seems to be good so far.  I did a stores check the other day and lifted the back of my hives up to get an idea of weight and saw no dead bees on the bottom.  Cleaning solid bb last spring was gross, the amount of dead bees and debris was amazing.  I think if the entrance can stay open then it should help bees to bring out the dead.  I have two tiny 8mm entrances on now and they seem to really drag out the dead on warm days.  The trays on these new bb should be better than what I have now.  I guess time will tell.   :-D  My thinking was that with a screened bottom I could take out the trash regularly enough myself?  I know your not supposed to bother bees during winter but every couple of weeks a two a trash dump should be ok??
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:00:40 am by BEE C »