Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very Old Honey?  (Read 9112 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Very Old Honey?
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:47:56 am »
Is it true that they have found old honey in pots sealed with wax in the pyramids and such that was like 6000 years old and it was still good??
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Very Old Honey?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:02:08 am »
From what I understand yes. As long as honey is sealed from air and of course was jarred/harvested when the moisture content was below 20% it will remain good for quite a while.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:33:23 am »
When Alexender The Great died, he was shipped home for burial in honey.
At that point he was good and dead.

:lau:
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline ONTARIO BEEKEEPER

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:29:17 pm »
I've had honey that was about 35 years old. It was hard as a rock, but when I liquified it was still delicious.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:30:18 pm »
When my honey started getting old, I got her a tummy tuck, face lift and implants.  She looks delicious again!  :-*  :-D
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:27 pm »
When my honey started getting old, I got her a tummy tuck, face lift and implants.  She looks delicious again!  :-*  :-D

I would look out , you know what happens to the males.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »
 :-D :-D :-D

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:19:07 pm »

I would look out , you know what happens to the males.

I couldn't resist that one! :-D :lol: ;)  Actually, my honey looks just fine without help from the surgeon... so far, anyway!

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 01:13:23 pm »
It was more like 3,000 and there is some discussion about how "edible" it was.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »
was like 6000 years old and it was still good??
F

I doupt it because it was a text on the side of pot:"Best before Anno Domini."
Language barrier NOT included

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »
 :lau: :rainbowflower:

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:38:48 pm »
I think this is an urban legend. What do you think? Read on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Honey/Archive_1#Oldest_found_honey_and_spoilage

Honey was found in one of the Egyptian pyramids, estimated at several thousand years old, and it was still good.

- is this for real? any sources? 202.156.2.35 14:32, 8 Feb 2004 (UTC)
I suspect "good" is in the sense of "edible" not "high quality." I find it believable with that qualification. It's part of beekeeper folklore. Pollinator 14:37, 8 Feb 2004 (UTC)
- A cursory googling doesn't find any confirmation of this "honey in pyramid"   
 story. I do find a reference to a child preserved in honey, but this has no   
 confirmation and is actually mentioned on snopes.com as likely an (early)
 urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/tapping.htm User:Martijn faassen

Some more googling on honey in the pyramids shows up this page:

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/yuyatb.htm

Not a pyramid (but valley of kings), and not honey (but initially misidentified as such). User:Martijn faassen

I just checked the latest edition of The Hive and the Honeybee, a voluminous standard reference on bees and beekeeping. It repeats the assertion, without attribution. Since there is a large panel of well respected scientists that put this together, I think they'd have dropped it, if it were merely a legend.
Quote: "...edible honey has been unearthed from the tombs of pharoahs after many thousands of years in clay pots"
Honey was a major part of the process of embalming, and was produced in large quantities in early Egypt, so it does not seem farfetched. Probably the best author to check for authoritative comment would be Eva Crane, who has done a lot of work on beekeeping history, but I don't have any of her works at hand. Pollinator 18:05, 8 Feb 2004 (UTC)
A large panel of well respected scientists can still make mistakes, especially when it pertains areas not their own science, and especially when it involves "lore" knowledge. Note that 'tombs of pharaos' does not necessarily mean 'pyramids', as is asserted now on the article; I suggest we change that at least.
I see this piece of lore repeated over and over on web pages relating honey, especially when detailing the amazing properties of it, but I see anything ranging from 'small residues' to 'jars of honey' to 'honeycomb' as what was found, and so far no references to an authorative source. It's also listed on 'amazing factoid' pages.
One reference so far, is an archeologist T,M. Davies who is supposed to have found honey:
http://www.beekmanandbeekman.com/honeytidbits.html
but on the previously listed page:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/yuyatb.htm
we see a reference to a certain 'Theodore M. Davis', and that's the page talking about a jar of something that is initially *misidentified* as honey. As evidenced at http://anubis4_2000.tripod.com/SpecialExhibits/Davis.htm it turned out to be natron. Could that be the source of this bit of folklore? In that case honey wasn't found. Or was honey found on another occasion? User:Martijn faassen
Found some more information; this time "Small pottery flasks, which according to the hieratic inscriptions on the side originally contained honey, were found in the tomb of the boy-king, Tutankhamun", as mentioned here: http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/sacredinsect.htm
If that's true, then that implies there *wasn't* any honey there anymore to be edible. User: Martijn faassen
(A week later) Is any action going to be taken on this article? I think I showed convincingly enough there is no evidence honey was found in any pyramids, and that the claims in general about finding edible honey in Egyptian tombs are - while an oft-repeated fact - somewhat dubious.

My preference would be to change the article taking out the whole line referencing the archeological honey finds until more evidence comes along. If it turns out there were such finds, we can add it again. If we can confirm definitely that this is untrue, then I believe this should be noted too, in the light of the many claims to the opposite.

I don't want to change this page myself however, without at least some input from others.

User: Martijn faassen

Have you (or anybody) checked any of Eva Crane's historical works? She's about the most authoritative person on the planet as far as bee history goes. If it isn't there, delete. I suspect that there is some truth to the folklore, but the original reference would be old and would not be on the Internet. I'm sorry, I'm not near any university library, so I can't check the reference myself.Pollinator 20:50, 14 Feb 2004 (UTC)

I propose that while we're actually unsure about the tomb story, let alone the pyramid story, and this is stated as fact in the article but is based on hearsay but cannot be confirmed by either of us, we actually remove this. We can simply leave in that honey can be kept for a very long time, of course.
--Martijn faassen 21:45, 17 Feb 2004 (UTC)

Since nobody objected I've removed the "edible honey in Egyptian pyramid" reference. If someone can come up with evidence of course we should re-add it.
--Martijn faassen 23:45, 19 Feb 2004 (UTC)

Found report in The Evolution of the Hebrew People and Their Influence on Civilization by Laura Hulda Wild c1917 (pp16)[1])
It seems to be related somewhat to the story about T.M. Davies.
Also found an earlier reference to the same in The Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine By Roy J. Friedman c1906 (pp70)[2]
Found a reference to fresh honey found in an Egyptian tomb and witnessed by Gabriele D'Annunzio in Gabriele D'Annunzio: defiant archangel By John Woodhouse c1998 (pp180)[3]
-- Anonymous 03:27, 10 March 2007 (UTC)

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:04 pm »
I believe this is where this legend begun.

snopes

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 05:47:49 pm »
When I have had 5 years old honey, it has an after taste like red pepper. It burns mouth.
I have found  old honey from skep combs and the color was red and very bitter taste.

Child inside honey?  - We know that if honey has over 20% water it start to ferment. Human has 70% water.

10 litre water + 5 liter child = 1,5 + 3,5 litre water = 5

So total volume is 15 litre and water 5 litre = 33% water content. ...what ever...

Language barrier NOT included

anything