Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: RC planes or Heli's  (Read 8129 times)

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
RC planes or Heli's
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:19:26 am »
Anyone fly RC here?  Just getting into Helicopters.  Going to be fun.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: RC planes or Heli's
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:04 am »
Not sure about fun, but I can promise you it will be expensive. I hate to sound like a friggin know-it-all but I have played around with alot of hobbies at one time or another. I started out with an entry level park flyer. I got where I could fly the hound out of it (after several crashes and rebuilds) and thought that I was ready to step up to a higher level. I went out and bought a Park Zone WW2 Focke Wulf fighter plane. Put that baby together ,launched it in the air, and ran it straight in the ground. Ordered parts to fix, launched it , flew for about 50 yards and results were same as the first except more violent. So....I bought a helicopter. How hard can it be right? Lets just say I could have balanced one legged on a beach ball easier. Scratch one helicopter. Then I got into nitro R/C buggies and began to race them on the weekends with my two sons at a local track. Its an expensive hobby for sure. I still have the cars all in one piece though. If I had it to do all over again, I would buy this.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-flight-simulators.html

I have used one and it is very lifelike. The crashes arent as expensive either. It teaches you the basic controls,landings,take-offs, etc. Well worth it.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:38:20 am »
Very, very, very fast Turbine powered RC Jet

no need to fly them little ol' slow prop planes guys, lets step things upa little.

this is insane speed to try and control to me.

RC Jet plane explosion

this would be my luck though
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:05:05 pm »
From what I've heard helis are a lot more difficult than planes.  I got an mSR (heli) for inside and its a blast.  A sim would probably be a good idea too.  Man I would hate to be that jet owner!!!  He probably burnt half the woods down with that fire.

Offline Vavra Apiaries

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:55 am »
I fly Helis Trex 700E very nice heli.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:29:24 am »
I used to really be into electric park flyers and micro indoor several years ago when I still lived in Oregon.  Same problem, spent more time and money repairing wrecks than I did actually flying.  I lost my job and sold all my equipment on ebay.  I've been thinking about it alot lately and kind of want to get back into it.  I sure miss my old Futaba radio, that thing was cool.

Anyways, hope you have a loose pocket book.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:52 am »
I
Anyways, hope you have a loose pocket book.

Sean Kelly

And thats exactly the reason why I couldnt do it anymore.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:13 am »
After flying electric motors for several years, one day I decided to try my hand with a gas engine.  Built a really sweet Cesna to put the expensive gas engine in.  Spent 6 months building, sanding, glueing, breaking in the engine, adjusting controls, everything.
Got to the park for her madien voyage.  Spun the prop with the chicken stick, got her running, took off like a dream.
Then the nightmare began.  None of my controls worked on my radio.  Couldnt adjust throttle, turn it, rudders, nothing!  So there I stood, crazy look on my face, as I watched my plane fly over the trees destined for where no man has gone before.  Full fuel tank.  I still don't know where she landed, but you could hear it for almost 10 mintues.  Someone out there got a really nice engine, servos, and reciever.
Man that sucked.

Oh yeah, cant forget about the P51 Mustang that I built.  Put the elevator servo on backwards.  Hand launched this one first time and she did a straight nose dive.  Styrofoam plane, broke into a million pieces.

My buddy Corey has a picture of me in mid-kick when my bi-plane's wings got ripped off by a huge wind gust.  Drop-kicked that plane across the football field.

Yeah, the stories just go on and on and on...  Yet I still miss doing it.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:08:58 am »
Sorry man, but Im still laughing at the plane that who knows where landed.. I had that happen to me, but it was only on a Park Flyer. I got too close to some electrical wires/transformers and the thing acted like it didnt even remember my radio. I found it though-heard the crash-my sisters house. The poor Luftwaffe pilot didnt stand a chance either-my FW190 got shot out of the sky too

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:41:58 pm »
Anyone fly RC here?  Just getting into Helicopters.  Going to be fun.

I flew RC airplanes for about 12 years when I lived near Jacksonville and was even an instructor in the Gateway RC Club there.

When I moved here in 1995, they did not have a place to fly them and I sold all of my stuff. I really miss flying them!

I never did fly helicopters.

Larry

Offline gunner7888

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 10:31:42 am »
 As a kid, I flew the airplanes with the 2 strings attached and went around in circles, maybe that explains alot LOL  As long as I live, I will remember the endurance of the Cox baby bee .049 engine. Gawd we gave them a workout. Always wanted to go to RC but other hobbies just got in the way. My bro-inlaw built a heli, lasted just that first flight  LOL

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:03:27 am »
Ever consider high power rocketry?

Nike Smoke - 75% Scale Model

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »
Have you launched one this summer yet?  When's the next one?   Might be worth the drive. 

anything