Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: installing new package bees  (Read 1638 times)

Offline rmangus

• Brood
installing new package bees
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:45:04 am »
When you are installing a new package of bees is it necessary to block the entrance of the hive after the bees are installed to force them to make it their new home?  If so how long should i keep them blocked in for? If i dont will they fly away and leave the hive since it isnt their queen yet?  Also should i shake the bees out of the shipping box onto the frames or should i remove half of the frames and put the box inside the hive and let them find their own way out then remove the box and replace the frames after a day or so?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: installing new package bees
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:00:13 am »
When you are installing a new package of bees is it necessary to block the entrance of the hive after the bees are installed to force them to make it their new home?  If so how long should i keep them blocked in for? If i dont will they fly away and leave the hive since it isnt their queen yet? 

No need to block them in, it will just add more stress.    They won't abscond without a queen.

Also should i shake the bees out of the shipping box onto the frames or should i remove half of the frames and put the box inside the hive and let them find their own way out then remove the box and replace the frames after a day or so?

I would spray them down good with light syrup and open up the side of the package as shown in this video,  and then just gently dump them in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4a-Tw-qFI

If you wet them down, they won't fly and they will come out of the package easier.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:36:25 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:14:34 am »
I'll tell ya that doing it the way shown on the video is MUCH easier than trying to get them out of the syrup can hole.. Thats like trying to shake change out of a piggy bank slot :-D  easier on you and the bees
I installed 2 packages yesterday and somehow managed to get stung on my ring finger..  :shock: pulled my ring off real quick before the swelling started :roll:

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:43:32 am »
Hey CBEE, I am in Northern KY to!  Today is installing day for me.  Wish me luck.

Joan

anything