Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First cut out  (Read 8485 times)

Offline irerob

• House Bee
First cut out
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:29:26 pm »
  I just got back from looking at a possible cut out. it looks easy enough but I would love a more experienced opinion.
   The colony is under an 8x 12 utility shed. It has a foundation of 4x4 landscape timbers I can see the bees have 2 entrances in more or less the same spot on the top and bottom of a 4x4.
  The owner says that he had a opossum issue that his dobies took care of but not until after they dug out under the shed. It looks like the bees took advantage of the space to build there nest.
  there is very little space between the ground and 4x4 where there entrance is.
 So it looks like my options are to
    Dig out around the entrance to get to the comb if it does not go back to deep or,
    Cut out the plywood floor of the pack utility shed.

I'm thinking to try the shovel method first it there only where the opossum was hope fully it doesn't go back to far. and plan b would be to cut out the floor if it goes back to far. but any thoughts or information from some one that has done a similar cut out would be appreciated
    Thank you
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First cut out
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:39:35 pm »
Cut out the plywood floor of the pack utility shed.

this would be my choice.  the more room you can make to work, the easier and more successful the cutout.  having been face down into a hive before, i can tell you, it is to be avoided if possible!

there are pics on here of floor removals.  i think some were from JP.  see if you can find those and hopefully someone who has done floors can give you some pointers.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:01:37 pm »
ok thanks that was my thinking to, dig down see exactly where they were and if i couldn't grab them from there go in the floor.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:04 pm »
Being in Orlando, Fla., the first thing I would do is suit up well and disturb them someway. European bees don't normally use the ground for a hive bottom. I would thoroughly convince myself they were European bees before starting the removal.

Next, I would get a jack or two and lift one end or side of the building, blocking as I went, until it was approx. 2 foot up on the side or end where the bees are. Then I would do the removal on my back.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »
irerob, I'm not too far from you and can help if you need (I'm just outside of Deltona) What part of O-town is it in?
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:05:17 pm »
Being in Orlando, Fla., the first thing I would do is suit up well and disturb them someway. European bees don't normally use the ground for a hive bottom. I would thoroughly convince myself they were European bees before starting the removal.

Next, I would get a jack or two and lift one end or side of the building, blocking as I went, until it was approx. 2 foot up on the side or end where the bees are. Then I would do the removal on my back.

The old man has given some pretty good advice here.

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »
  I'm pretty sure there not AHB I was on my hands and knees tyring to look into the entrance and knocking weeds over to get to it and they hardly took note. The property owners say they weed eat and mow around it all the time with out issue so I think I'm safe there.
 I never thought about jacking up the shed, I'll have to mull it over.
 Thanks for the offer Hardwood ill try to I'm you for the details.
 KJ4QMH.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:45:23 pm »
?  do you find it easier to slide under like that, or does it just make the repairs easier?  i would think doing it on your back (stop it) would make the removal more difficult?  have not done a floor yet, so this is info gathering.......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:30:11 am »
I have removed a few hives laying on my back with the hive right above me. I don't mind as long as I am fully protected. Going in from the floor has worked fine for me for many a removal. I use a cat's claw and remove the nails on the floor joists on the section I cut. A skill saw and a sawzall work great for this.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 08:22:11 am »
I'm lazy. I like working laying down.   ;)

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:12:03 am »

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:34:38 pm »
  I'd like to thank all of you for the great ideas. I got a closer look today and I'm sure that going thru the floor is the best way to get them. I'm waiting to see if the home owner wants to go thru with it.
 I did take some cool pics they have Set up just 4 inch comb in one section between the floor joists.

http://img193.imageshack.us/i/hpim1593.jpg/
http://img6.imageshack.us/i/hpim1597q.jpg/
http://img3.imageshack.us/i/hpim1599o.jpg/
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/hpim1601b.jpg/
 KJ4QMH.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 11:39:34 pm »
Here's one I did this August Rob: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/August72009#

Here's another: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/APRIL102008#

One more: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March122008#

Hope the pics help some.

Don't forget the most important thing to have on a cut out is a bucket of water to wipe your tools.

...JP

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 12:39:36 am »
i'd rather go home sticky than forget a tool!!   :-D

take the stuff that's on the cutout list.  you may have more than you need, but that's better than not having enough!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:10:14 pm »
irerob...how'd your cut-out go? any news?
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 06:38:27 am »
  unfortunately the home owners decided they didn't want to empty the shed so I could get to the floor. The good news is there going to leave them there instead of exterminating them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:52:05 am by irerob »
 KJ4QMH.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 07:39:34 am »
It would be a great place to set up a swarm trap. I'd place one or two within a couple hundred yards of the colony.

...JP

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 10:08:36 pm »
 I never thought of that. i'll need to read up on it and trap outs to see whats involved.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 10:16:08 pm »
Trap outs are like the Ronco miracle oven thingy...set it and forget it almost.
Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 11:18:30 am »
Irerob, well, how did it turn out?  I would be very curious if you decided to do a trap out or just leave the bees, so great that they decided not to exterminate them.  Tell us the story.  Have that wonderful and most beautiful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything