Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The media smells blood  (Read 15062 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: The media smells blood
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 06:54:55 pm »

[Bees are considered farming livestock.]

This is where I thought this was going to go.... sucks!

[Also if it doesn't the airport has the vacant land between the garden and my house. My code enforcement officer has already said that will be okay because he asked the airport.]

Well, I wouldn't be flying anymore helicopters out of that airport, I heard what they did to the last guy.

The airport is more than 400 yards away. They just own this section of land. They want to in 5 years put a warehouse there.

--------------
How much land do you have and what do you need to be zoned agriculture?

It is the amount of land so much as it is the entire neighborhood.
--------------
I'd buy to get the zoning just so I could park a chicken coup next to his bedroom with about 50 roosters.
--------------
There is the possiblity that the area in a few years my get rezoned to a mixed res/ag. if that happens I can have 300 hives and he can't say anything.
Variances.... could you scoot around the law with something like research, or a 'pets' classification?

Talked with my code enforcement officer about that. It really would not happen. But I am not opposed to looking into it.
they might as well classify birdhouses as agriculture... then again, you don't eat bluejays do you?
-------------
Don't know about that.

How about a religious exemption? Are you Mormon?
-------------
Pastafarian. I do not believe the county has been touched by his noodly appendage.

How about a medical exemption? Apitherapy? Just need a doctors note?
-------------
Now that may be an idea.
Send Honey to the governor, maybe you can get a pardon - wait, that's just when they execute you, you're not there yet.
-------------

:-D :-D

Start feeding your dog rubber bands, it gives you nifty little loops to flip the tootsie rolls in his pool.

I'm still wondering why good things happen to bad people.

No reason to put my dog through that.
 :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:18 pm »
--------------
Variances.... could you scoot around the law with something like research, or a 'pets' classification?
they might as well classify birdhouses as agriculture... then again, you don't eat bluejays do you?
-------------

He didn't eat the bees either!! :-D :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 07:07:26 pm »
every time you go buy his place, squirt some lemmongrass oil on his car or anything else handy  :-)

think i told the story of the neighbor who let his dogs run loose on my horses.  the guy had a bad case of LDS, which for those of you who need a hint, is a syndrome associated with a smaller than usual male body part.  even after much official intervention he caused problems for the whole area.  i ended up carrying a shotgun outside with me just so he had no doubt about my resolve.  i always carry the .45, but i knew he couldn't see that.

one day not to long ago, he and his family disappeared.  turned out there were drugs involved and relatives with B&E convictions hanging around.  wife left and took the kids....

point is, people who react the way your neighbor did, usually have something else going on.  caution is always a good thing.  caution backed up with fire power is an excellent idea.  especially with your wife at home alone so much.

one other thing i learned with the whole episode.....if you let the air out of a big truck tire, wear gloves.  the freeze burn you can get is painful for days   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 08:16:18 pm »
Someone mentioned going to another network. I thought it was a nice idea but without a bit of an angle I really didn't have reason to and there was no reason to fan the flames.

Fate has a dark sense of humor and I appreciate it.

I was watching the other network news WPTV 5. And on the air comes a story about this poor women in bad health in Port St. Lucie with bees in her house. She can't afford to have them removed. Now for the best part. She has seen my story on the other network and was looking to get in contact with me. To see if I could help. They didn't air that part. But the reporter got in contact with me.

Asked me if I would be interested in helping her. I said sure I just watched the story. They asked if they could do a follow up story on the removal. Now coming to the rescue of this woman can only make me look good for helping her and sympathetic to those who watched the channel 12 story.  :evil:

Sure it's slightly subversive but the success is best revenge.

I should hire a PR agent. How much should I charge for autographs. (sarcasm)
I need a good name for this soap opera. Something about bees in the title. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 08:40:26 pm »
when they do the story, make sure you mention that you are not sure what you will do with the poor bees that you have rescued.  you have a neighbor that, having been stung once by some stinging insect, now wants your bees removed from the neighborhood.  who knows? you may get the offer of some great place to keep your bees and make your neighbor look like a jerk at the same time!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:00:52 am by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 08:46:02 pm »
Brendhan, someone or something has taken your lemon and made lemonade for you. I believe in what goes around comes around and you are being lavished with good things from that one bad thing. Good for you! From the onstart of this whole episode, you have handled yourself like a true gentleman. Your neighbor hasn't a clue how nice of a guy you are. Now, no offense Konasdad, but why on earth would Brendhan move? He's not the bad guy here. Brendhan you stay right where you are, if the idiot neighbor wants to move, I say let the door hit him where the sun don't shine. Good luck with everything Brendhan!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 08:58:14 pm »
Holy Cow!! I just read all 56 odd pages of this thing. I love it, I love that it is turning out good! Did you ever find a way for us to see the news cast stuff, maybe I missed that? Let me know.
I think that you handled everything very well by the way. I agree about the lemonade for sure.
PS If you need help with the Mormon thing, I can help with that. Just take a few seconds next time you are in SLC. Then (BAM) you are a Mormon and yep you can claim the right to have bees by your faith, I can back you up on that... I will give my buddy Mitt a quick call and see if he can make a few calls and get you out of trouble if needed. I know that he is good friends with your govenor... So let me know if you want me to make a few calls and round up the Mormon malitia!!!
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2008, 09:19:12 pm »
Holy Cow!! I just read all 56 odd pages of this thing. I love it, I love that it is turning out good! Did you ever find a way for us to see the news cast stuff, maybe I missed that? Let me know.
I think that you handled everything very well by the way. I agree about the lemonade for sure.
PS If you need help with the Mormon thing, I can help with that. Just take a few seconds next time you are in SLC. Then (BAM) you are a Mormon and yep you can claim the right to have bees by your faith, I can back you up on that... I will give my buddy Mitt a quick call and see if he can make a few calls and get you out of trouble if needed. I know that he is good friends with your govenor... So let me know if you want me to make a few calls and round up the Mormon malitia!!!
Frantz

Thanks I would have to become one of those poligamist type mormons with several wives. So I may not even fit in at SLC. And I would have to see what my wife said about those "other wives."

Right now I stick with letting the event flow where they may. I haven't been to concerned since it all started. I am not going to be now. It just enough drama to be interesting.
I will see if I can find the broadcast.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2008, 09:53:17 pm »
I know.... this ain't Florida.

BEES MAY BE KEPT IN CITIES and VILLAGES: In April, 1901, the
council of the city of Rochester, N.Y., passed an ordinance
prohibiting the keeping of bees within the city limits. W. R.
Taunton, who refused to remove his apiary, was arrested and brought
before a police court. The judge set aside the ordinance and the
defendant was discharged. The latter was defended by the counsel of
the National Beekeepers' Association. In the Butchers' Union Co. vs.
Cresent City Co. (111 U.S. 746), Justice Fields says: "The common
business and callings of life, the ordinary trades and pursuits,
which are innocent in themselves, and have been followed in all
communities from time immemorial, must therefore, be free in this
country to all alike on equal terms. The right to pursue them
without let or hindrance, except that which is applied to all
persons of the same age, sex, and condition, is a distinguishing
privilege which they claim as their birthright." In the same case
Judge Gradley says: " I hold that the liberty of pursuit, the right
to follow any of the ordinary callings of life, is one of the
privileges of a citizen of the United states, of which he can not be
deprived without invading this right to liberty within the meaning
of the constitution." It may be well to state in this connection
that the National Beekeepers' Association frequently undertakes to
defend its members in a court of law where the circumstances warrant
the assistance of this influential body.
1. Bees are a hobby which can be helpful to the community.
2. When a bee keeper is allowed to keep bees (limited to no more
than 2 hives) on his or her property there is a significant result.
3. Honeybees will drive hornets and un-wanted bees from the village.
4. Villages without an ordinance against beekeepers have a notable
major downsizing of hornets in the community.
5. It is the right of any citizen to engage in his or her hobby if
they can show they are not infringing on their neighbors right and
or property.
6. Honeybees do not invade houses or harass neighbors but stick to
the business of pollinating and collecting for the hive. They do not
act like hornets that will sting for no apparent reason.
7. Honeybees have to be provoked to sting by a serious threat to
their hive.
8. Placing a 6 foot fence around a hive setting will keep all bees
in a flight path above any pedestrian traffic and keep neighbors out
of the hive.
9. If a limited amount of bees (be it hobby) are not allowed due to
the danger (and I question danger) , then many of the other business
ventures or hobbies in a village should be considered as well,
otherwise there is a discrimination violation which can be up-held
in court.
10. Hobbies not limited to the use of spray varnish, dusting garden
plants with toxic chemicals, hobbies that produce noise pollution,
hobbies and businesses which alter the natural ecology would need to
be closed or halted. Many hobbies and business ventures do cause
harm to the environment and if bees are not allowed many other
hobbies need to be closed as well or there would be a discriminatory
case involved.
11. Gardens would not need to be dusted with a hive placed by them.
The honeybees would remove pests and significantly increase the
gardens output.
In closing,
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2008, 11:20:47 pm »
What Jerrymac sites is true everywhere.  There is also grandfathering--the continuance of something that has been restricted because it existed previous to the restriction.  It's unconstitutional to enact any law that allows prosecution prior to its enactment.  So, if Brendhan had bees prior to any statute (zoning or otherwise) the restricted beekeeping in his area any law restricting it is unenforceable in his case.

I always carry a pistol, if I'm awake I'm armed. 

Threats only work if they frighten you--I once had a guy I had arrested threaten to harm my family because I couldn't protect my home when I was working.  I backed him up against the wall, looked deep into his eyes, and told him that, if, at anytime in the future, anything were to happen to my family, even if it appeared to be an accident, I would assume he was the cause and would come looking for him.  He moved away.

Brendhan has the right idea, use the media and the little old lady to put the entire thing into perspective.  Also, the garden club sounds good.  Having your bees a hundred yards away from your house is no big deal, and being located at the garden it can be shown that they are providing a public service.  The necessity of having bees in a garden should trump any restrictions.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 12:24:19 am »
Having your bees a hundred yards away from your house is no big deal,

I didn't even think about it until I read that. My hives are 100 yards from the house. Ain't no thang.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 11:07:12 am »
The state of NJ recently had a Supreme crt ruliong saying beess are not livestock for purposes of farming tax abatements.

Also, in seeking a variance, play up the "biological void" argument regarding Africanized Bees. By you keeping EHB, you are making the neighborhood safe from AHB. You are doing a noble service for the neighborhood!

Invariably, you will need the consent for a variance of all your neighbors. He will not consent and a hearing will occur. You need to have all the prior incidences w/ your neighbor documented to attack his credibility and motives. You are also unlikely to be grandfathered in. I would imagine you moved into your neighborhood after the zoning ordinance was passed.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2008, 11:21:07 am »
bottom line is, city living sucks at best. :-\
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2008, 02:51:12 pm »
bottom line is, city living sucks at best.

A wise man once said, "City living is great for everyone, except me".  I'll take the boonies any day.

Great story by the way.  I'd also like to see the news report.  Maybe you can ask the news station to send you a copy of the tape.  If they refuse, tell them that you request it under the Freedom of Information Act.  Try doing that without opening another can of worms    :lol: :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline TapStoneBees

• New Bee
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2008, 11:49:37 pm »
You need to tell Donald to just settle down....
Doesn't he have enough to worry about with the failing show, his new son and Milania.....
Those West Palm types can be very tight.

I guess he must have been upset cuz it made him swell too much, oh no i'm sorry he Always looks that way!
Oh well!!
Keep Keeping the Bees, and definitely Keep on Smiling!!!!
Cheers,
JT
"Do or Do Not.... there is no Try!"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 07:38:43 am »
>Also, in seeking a variance, play up the "biological void" argument regarding Africanized Bees.

With everyone including the media and the neighbors as well as the zoning commision etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2008, 10:59:44 pm »
I don't think I would get the variance without a medical need.

The soap opera continues.
They called the state to make sure my bees were registered.
Bud the inspector called me and said he got a complaint about the bees. I asked him what happens from here. He says nothing really your registered. He said they have to take samples so I told him to come on down and have at it. Today he took samples from two of my hives. I asked him to make sure that FABIS was not given consideration because I run small cell. He agreed. It I will take a while for the results and we will see what happens.

Mounts looks like they are onboard for my hives. This opens some great oppurtunities and creates some new problems. I will have to make sure my bees have certified queens since they are basically in a park. Which I can understand. And I will need to make sure someone is avaliable if there is an issue. That is understandable.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 11:24:45 pm »
whats that mean certified queen -disease free or pedigree -RDY-B

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2008, 07:57:33 am »
i think it means not africanized.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2008, 08:55:14 am »
Certified quees come from registered queen breeders.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

anything