Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The media smells blood  (Read 15062 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
The media smells blood
« on: January 08, 2008, 04:46:17 pm »
Well it looks like I may have an issue. On new years day just as the cold spell was hitting SoFla I  had some old comb from a cut out that I decided I would let the bees have just to make sure they had plenty of stores.

Well a feeding freenzy ensued. And my neighbor got stung. He came over and threatened to kill me and was verbally abusive. I didn't do anything to react to him. He called the police. The police told him he could be arrested for assault for verbal abuse(in Florida that is the case). So now he is upset that he got stung and the police won't cooperate with him.

So he called the local media. I was just  coming back from a county meeting which means I have been dealing with governement officials. So I was ripe for this. I come home and and am working in the yard for a few before I head down to Plantation for work. Well there is channel 12 van in my street. The cameraman was one who came over when I had done a cut out in the neighborhood. The reporter was someone who I had never dealt with before.

We talked a for a bit about the incident. We talked about bees and how they help. We talked about how I got into bees. The reporter than asked if I wanted to do any of this on camera. I thought about it. I don't want to start a war with my neighbor. I was sorry he got stung but I wasn't thrilled with his reaction to it. I also knew they would air this story with or without me. They could edit whatever way they wanted also. The odds did not look good. So I did what any good person would do. I called my spouse.  Janel answered and we discussed it. We asked for a few simple conditions. Not that they have to abide by them but we at least asked.
And we decided to do the interview. Basically that meant me. Janel was at work.

So I did the interview. We spent more time talking about bees than the actual incident. We talked about CCD. We talked about pollination and how the bees help the neighborhood. We talked aboiut how having bees that were supervised helped deal with aggressive bees. We also mentioned the neighbor got one sting.

I am not sure how the editing will turn out. But I hope for the best. It is going to be interesting.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: The media smells blood
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:58:14 pm »
what station is this? most of them have their stuff online after its broadcast.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »
Understudy, man you sure are having some issues lately. First the stolen honey and now this!! I wonder what he would do if he was at a gas station or something and got stung? That fellow has some problems. Good luck and let us know how the story turns out.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 05:10:23 pm »
It is WPEC 12.

I also realized today is super Tuesday. My story may not even get air.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:12:53 pm »
Yup.. You are between the proverbial rock and hard place :roll: Had my dealings with the media before and none of it has ever came out right due to editing ,and you have no control as to how they put it together or what they couple it with. Maybe not but they will probably portray the guy that got stung as barely clinging to life from being chased down and attacked by a entire hive of africanized bees  :shock:
I wonder if they interviewed the stingee ?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 05:14:32 pm »
super tuesday is Feb 5. this is just the NH primary. but i think even if the story is not on the air it might be online.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 05:15:16 pm »
how did your neighbor know that it was one of your bees?  are there no others in your part of Florida?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »
Your right I meant the NH primary. I was just thinking because it was Tuesday.

It could have been another bee than mine. I am just not trying to start a war with the neighbor.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 05:19:14 pm »
Your neighbor has issues, threatening someone over a bee sting is not justified. I'd be wary of him for now on .

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 05:20:24 pm »
give him a peace offering.. a jar of honey

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 05:23:41 pm »
give him a peace offering.. a jar of honey

The issue with the neighbor has some history to it. He has a dog that leaped his fence and killed one of my cats in front of my wife. I wasn't happy about that. My wife really has no dealings with the neighbor and I really don't want to either. I don't think they would take the honey.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »
Aren't you out of honey??

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 05:27:10 pm »
Actually I am out of honey too. I hadn't even thought of that.

:)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 05:41:20 pm »
[He came over and threatened to kill me...]

You have to be on the offensive!

Get him before he gets you!!
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »
[He came over and threatened to kill me...]

You have to be on the offensive!

Get him before he gets you!!

He was upset that he got stung. He definitely overreacted but I have to remember that not everyone deals with stings like I do.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 05:49:41 pm »

I'd dig a tiger pit on the property line and then call him over until he falls in it.

I'd spray him with the hose (like silence of the lambs) until he agrees he can be nice!

Sounds like the police don't like him too much either, maybe you can call them over to take turn with the hose too!!
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 05:51:49 pm »
but I have to remember that not everyone deals with stings like I do.

no.  you  have to remember that people who overreact like that and make threats, are dangerous.  they usually have other issues and you don't want those issues bleeding into your life.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »

I'd dig a tiger pit on the property line and then call him over until he falls in it.

I'd spray him with the hose (like silence of the lambs) until he agrees he can be nice!

Sounds like the police don't like him too much either, maybe you can call them over to take turn with the hose too!!

I like the way you think. I won't do it. But I like the idea.  :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 05:53:59 pm »
but I have to remember that not everyone deals with stings like I do.

no.  you  have to remember that people who overreact like that and make threats, are dangerous.  they usually have other issues and you don't want those issues bleeding into your life.

I agree but I don't want to pour fuel on to his emotional fire.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Gail Di Matteo

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 06:01:29 pm »
I think it was a fortunate turn of events, that you could take a negative situation and make it  positive; possibly getting one more person interested in beekeeping. I hope the station doesn't edit out the piece to beyond recoginition. Please keep us informed when/if it will air.

I wouldn't make eye contact with the neighbor. Avoid that situation as best as you can. Get a nanny cam to watch your hives. I've got no problems with that here. The neighbor's kids see me come out and they shriek and run away screaming "its the bee lady". Hmmm, maybe its the dowager's hump.

Gail
Ps, I have extra honey if you change your mind.
No good deed goes unpunished.