Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wanting to Keep Bees in Virginia  (Read 2607 times)

Offline itsmatt

• New Bee
Wanting to Keep Bees in Virginia
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:44:53 pm »
Hey there!

So I'm in the Fredericksburg, Virginia area and want to become a beekeeper.  I'm reading books (Backyard Beekeeper, Beekeeping for Dummies, a couple of others) and watching a LOT of videos.  Planning to take a class in the winter - evidently there was one this past February and so I'm banking on there being one this winter.  I've got a small farm (5 acres) and a garden and am looking forward to the additional pollinators on the property - and some honey too. 

I'm hoping to find a beekeeper reasonably local to me to visit and shadow a bit - reading and watching videos is good but I think it'd be good to visit and ask questions and be near a hive before I get my own.  If you happen to be within say 40-50 miles of Fredericksburg, VA and would be open to having me visit for an hour or so sometime and ask a few questions and inspect a hive, I'd be interested in stopping by.  I don't have any equipement (veil, etc.) yet but plan to get it soon.

The family's a bit tentative about the affair though I told them that unless they're near the hive(s) I wouldn't expect life to be much different than it is now.  I'd be interested in your thoughts on that.

All the best,
Matt

Offline Francus

• House Bee
Re: Wanting to Keep Bees in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:47 pm »
Welcome!

I would suggest finding/contacting the local club. It shouldn't be too hard to find online.

My wife was also very apprehensive when I first got bees. But I stuck them in the corner of the yard and no one (other than me) has been stung. Not even the dogs. So, I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you're planning on putting them on the patio by the grill and the lawn chairs, maybe. Mine are about 30 feet from the back door.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:27:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  My family pays no attention to the hives.   I have one on the back porch, 5 foot from the back door just so I can watch TV and them at the same time.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:16:53 pm »
Well its an interesting hobby and quite addictive.  If your interested in buying equipment so soon.  I will have my bee suppy store open the 19th of August, couple hour drive from you.  I also have someone in my club selling there hives with bees if you feel your ready. Very well established with honey I believe.

Welcome again
Shane
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:28 am »
I'm hoping to find a beekeeper reasonably local to me to visit and shadow a bit -

Get involved with a local club. Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers.
http://www.virginiabeekeepers.org/map/node

The family's a bit tentative about the affair...
More than likely they'll not only warm up to the idea once they see you out working the bees, they'll become enthusiastic about it.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:39:27 am »
yes your right indy my family thought i was crazy but now they love it and find it as fascinating as i do
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »
My family just wants honey. 

Offline itsmatt

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:44:38 am »

Hey thanks for that link.  I'm going to contact one of the folks I found locally.

Interestingly enough my 13 year old started asking a lot of great questions about bees (most of which I couldn't answer) yesterday in the car.  I thought that was cool (that he had questions, not that I couldn't answer them). :)

Offline itsmatt

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:45:33 am »
My family just wants honey. 

Mine too. :)

anything