Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: reducers  (Read 1159 times)

Offline colbees

• House Bee
reducers
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:32:13 pm »
Is an enterance reducer fit so that you have to hammer it in
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
Re: reducers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:57:37 pm »
Just lift the front of the lowest hive body and slide it in. If it is too long you may have to trim it.

John

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
No hammer should be needed. If it fits too tight whittle it down just a little. I use a stick most of the time to block part of the entrance, does not have to fit under the bottom edge of the box, just block the hole a little. after a short time they will propolize it in place.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:54:29 pm »
I like to use the type of reducer that Harry Aebi made in his book.  I have several different sizes to use, depending on the occasion and need.  I also make my mouse guards the same way.  I'll try to get a pic or two on my photobucket to share.  BTW, I strongly recommend his book, The Art and Adventure of Beekeeping.  It's written for beekeeping prior to TM, Varroa, SHB and CCD but is a joy to read.  I especially like the low overhead ideas for beekeeping in the book.  The drawings are also very period but neat.

Apparently it's out of print.  I cannot find it new.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventure-Beekeeping-Ormond-Aebi/dp/0913300381/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332694357&sr=1-4