Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: week 5 and no brood  (Read 4318 times)

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
week 5 and no brood
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:36:47 pm »
ok i have two hives i installed june 6 .
To day i inspected my hives and the one has like allmost 3 full frams of brood why while the other one has none why would that be?  I seen both qweens. Could  THE one qween  noT be breed?  I cleaned the top feeders out and added syrup what should i do get a new qween or will the hive be alittle late at making brood ?
any help would be nice . Also the hive with no capped brood has lots of honey and i'm not sure about the eggs i trying to see them but i'm not sure if i can see them or not.
What should i be looking for .
thank you.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: week 5 and no brood
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:18:28 pm »
Hi Glock--Were they installed June 6 or May 6? Whether you have had them 4-5 days or 4-5 weeks will make a huge difference.

For a photo of what the eggs look like, scroll about halfway down the page on this link:
http://www.countryrubes.com/images/Honey_Bee_Life_Cycle_in_Pictures.pdf

I have heard it said that you need to wait at least a week or 2 before getting nervous about a new queen laying. So, please let us know FOR SURE which date you installed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:38:40 pm by luvin honey »
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:58:30 am »
ok i have two hives i installed june 6 .

:? June 6 to June 10 is 4 days not 5 weeks ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:28:33 am »
i'm sorry the right date i hived my bees was may 6 so it's been 5 weeks i'm just worryed let me know what to do thak you.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:41:34 am »
No brood at all? Five weeks is too long to have waited. For package bees, usually the queen starts laying within a week, although sometimes it may take up to two weeks. At this point, your best option may be to combine the weak hive with your other hive. If your other hive was strong enough, I might suggest taking some frames of brood from it and adding them to the weak hive, along with a new queen, but since your other hive is still getting established, I don't think that's a good option.