Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sanitation  (Read 2117 times)

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
Sanitation
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:15:45 am »
If one has multiple apiaries/bee yards, should they just keep a set of tools for working those hives at each location? Or, say, if you really want to bring those frame grabbers, or this hive tool from one bee yard to your (or someone else's) other bee yard, just dip or soak the tool(s) in some water with clorox?

This would be to prevent possibly transferring any ailments or diseases from one place to another...

Any simpler methods?
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Sanitation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:10:06 am »
 :evil: Flame them  :evil:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:19:50 am »
Know a guy that puts his hive tool in his smoker before he moves out of the yard., when I pointed out what if something's on your gloves or smoker, he said "an ounce of prevention". I don't pay much attention because I move my hives/nucs to one yard to another on a regular basis.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
I believe in the germ theory of health.  The more germs from healthy hives you spread the healthier your hives get.  I use the same hive tools at all my hives and have for 39 years with no EFB or AFB the entire time...  I seriously doubt that AFB has ever spread by hive tool...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything