Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 2105 times)

Offline jkaamw

• Brood
New to Forum
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:40 am »
Hi, I'm new to this, so just following the rule to post something within two weeks of registering.  I have been keeping bees for about 4 years now.  However, I've only had two successful years of harvesting honey.  I live in the south and it gets dry here so a lot of the time there's not much bloom except for the farmers crops and I don't know if that's really good for the bees as so many of the crops have pest resistant seeds now.  Anyway, it seems as though I constantly have to feed my bees and I have lost my hives a couple of times to pests, and have come to the conclusion that if I lose them again, I'm giving up since they are quite expensive to replace.  Look forward to information from this board, maybe it'll give me new insight and help to know what I might be doing wrong.  Thanks!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:47:32 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Maybe you can find something to help.  There is lots of things here to read and videos, if you have any questions just ask someone can usually give you an answer.  It would help if you put your location.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this, so just following the rule to post something within two weeks of registering.  I have been keeping bees for about 4 years now.  However, I've only had two successful years of harvesting honey.  I live in the south and it gets dry here so a lot of the time there's not much bloom except for the farmers crops and I don't know if that's really good for the bees as so many of the crops have pest resistant seeds now.  Anyway, it seems as though I constantly have to feed my bees and I have lost my hives a couple of times to pests, and have come to the conclusion that if I lose them again, I'm giving up since they are quite expensive to replace.  Look forward to information from this board, maybe it'll give me new insight and help to know what I might be doing wrong.  Thanks!

It seems that you have such cultivated areas around you that bees do not get yield in you site.

Efficient flying distance is under one mile, and you should have something all the time to catch.

You should move hives to better pastures where do not  exist  other hives. You see density of bees in flowers.

Best way is to find a experinced beekeepers nearby who can tell to you how he see your surrounding

But like you say, environment may be  too dry to beeplants and too small area to forage

Language barrier NOT included

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:48:18 pm »
Where in the South do you live?

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:42 pm »
Welcome :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:31:51 pm »
Welcome to the bee forum.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:19:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :cheer:

Please consider changing your location (town & State) so we might better help you. Is the a local bee club near you?  Do not worry, I do not know of any beek that has not lost a colony or two. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:40:13 am »
hello
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:40 am »
Welcome to the forum. What part of the south do you hang your hat?

anything