Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and Motor Oil  (Read 10749 times)

Offline Mistura Fina

• New Bee
Bees and Motor Oil
« on: October 14, 2007, 02:41:27 pm »
I read that putting the legs of the hive stand in little cups of motor oil keeps unwanted crawling preditors, such as insects and mice, out of the hive. I though I'd give it a try. After a number of days, I noticed a build-up of dead bees in the oil. In taking their dead sisters out of the hive, can the bees be putting their dead sisters in the oil, or are my good, healthy bees unwittingly committing suicide by landing on the oil? The oil suggestion came from a reputable source, but I'm beginning to wonder. Any responses or suggestions would help.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Bees and Motor Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 02:56:08 pm »
I have used this method to control fire ants. The cup of oil does not have to be very large or deep. Bees die all the time, how many are you seeing in what amount of time? A few over a period of time would be normal.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:14:16 pm »
The problem I have with doing this is when it rains and fills the containers full of water the motor oil goes into the ground and eventually to the water table. And if you have your own well then you get the oil back in an unhealthy manner. (Yeah I know it might take 80 years for it to reach the water table.  :roll: )
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:40:16 pm »
Jerrymac, We did not get much rain this year and I do not have a well........so no problem.

Seriously, you are correct. That is why I said the cup does not have to be very large or deep. I should have also said that it requires very little oil. It does not have to be motor oil; could be vegetable oil.

I have several hundred gallons of vegetable oil on hand since I burn it as fuel in my diesel trucks.   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:46:19 pm »
Yeah I've heard that oil in the cups works very well

I have real bad problems with ants here in L A
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 03:55:37 pm »
I have had success with Grant's Ant Stakes...our hive sits atop a cinder block stand, so can't use oil...prolyl wouldn't as it is harmful if it gets into the ground...some peole use cinnamon and diatomaceous earth...

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 11:24:08 pm »
for those who have tried it do you think brushing the oil on the legs of the stand would work?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 11:28:21 pm »
If you must use oil, use vegetable oil; it is, at least, biodegradeable.  The idea is to use a substance that is liquid so the ants will sink into it and then suffocate so vegetable oils is just as eficient as motor oil.  Some oils are too heavy. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:48:54 am »
>The problem I have with doing this is when it rains and fills the containers full of water the motor oil goes into the ground and eventually to the water table.

weld or nail a cover around the legs over the cups to shed any rain. this would keep bees from falling in too.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 05:39:39 pm »
didn't the oil come from the ground to begin with? seriously I like the veg oil and old timers idea.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:02:51 pm »
didn't the oil come from the ground to begin with? seriously I like the veg oil and old timers idea.

Yep. But it was way down there not bothering anyone. Then man came along and disturbed it and it's been causing problems ever since.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline genesbees

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:25:24 pm »
I use a bead of marine grade grease around the hive stand leg.  The ants won't cross it and the rain takes a very long time to wash it away.  Just have to be mindful that it is there or you end up with it on your pant legs.
"The UNKNOWN, huh?  That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Offline jimmy_in_texas

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 11:02:01 pm »
I solved my ant problem by killing all the antbeds I could find, I keep the area around my hive neat and clean and it wasnt too hard to see where they were coming from.  I tried grease and oil but the ants always seem to find a way past given time. it only takes a leaf or something to make a bridge.   
 use a screen for mice.

anybody ever see some little ants in the hive that are so small you need a magnifying glass to even tell its an ant?
I see a few of them in the hive when I inspect but not large numbers of them, they look like a normal ant except very small, are these sugar ants?

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 07:32:52 am »
The problem I have with doing this is when it rains and fills the containers full of water the motor oil goes into the ground and eventually to the water table. And if you have your own well then you get the oil back in an unhealthy manner. (Yeah I know it might take 80 years for it to reach the water table.  :roll: )

I've read about a construction like this, but never tried it:

When the level arises as rain gets into the can and reaches the level of the top of the tube, water will start to pour out of the tube.  The top of the tube has to be lower than the top of the can.  Could this work for you?

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

It is refined oil...not original black gold...and it doesn't live in the surface of the Earth, but deep below...it kills beneficial microbes, earthworms and the like, and will ulitimately end up in the watershed...where oil doesn't come from or belong.

Offline genesbees

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 08:02:31 pm »
I solved my ant problem by killing all the antbeds I could find, I keep the area around my hive neat and clean and it wasnt too hard to see where they were coming from.  I tried grease and oil but the ants always seem to find a way past given time. it only takes a leaf or something to make a bridge.   
 use a screen for mice.

anybody ever see some little ants in the hive that are so small you need a magnifying glass to even tell its an ant?
I see a few of them in the hive when I inspect but not large numbers of them, they look like a normal ant except very small, are these sugar ants?

I actually don't mind a few antbeds in my bee yard.  I find that they help a lot in keeping the SHB larvae from pupating.  Even when some of the ants get by the grease, they don't seem to affect my hives unless they are extremely weak.  By that time the SHB have pretty well destroyed the chances that the hive will survive and I use the antbeds to clean all the SHB larvae out of the comb, thus ensuring that they don't get the chance to pupate.

If the small ants you are talking about are black, then I have seen them.  Some people do call them sugar ants, but I think its a pretty generic name for small ants.
"The UNKNOWN, huh?  That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 01:19:05 am »
   I just put on some FGMO (read laxative) on my finger and apply a ring around the base of the colonies.  Applied inside and outside of the SBB, no poles but I use cinder blocks, keeps the ants and other crawlers off.  Had a really heavy rain about a week and a half ago and found cockroaches and other bugs under the cover.  Reapplied FGMO and they are no more.  Found a dead roach on the board two days later with a few bees working it off the board.  No more ants either. :evil:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Mistura Fina

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 10:24:04 pm »
I like the idea of vegitable oil and covers to keep the bees from falling in. Thanks one and all.

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 02:16:04 pm »
I tried using motor oil in the past and did note bees (seemingly) flying right for it, packed with pollen, and landing in it and dying. As others here have noted when it rains it overflows and gets all over the place.  Add a bunch of dead bees to that and you get a pretty nasty funk, which is hard to clean out since the hive legs are in each pan.  I have since filled the pans with boric acid powder instead of oil and it has worked great you just have to remember to freshen it up after it rains.

Cheers,
Patrick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 10:47:27 am »
Is boric acid a cleaner?  Wonder if it is the same as 20 Mule Team Borax that I use for washing some types of clothes?  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service