Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Closing the entrance worries me...  (Read 5715 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Closing the entrance worries me...
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:46:32 pm »
I seriously do not know if my hive is being robbed or not...one minute I don't think so, the next I wonder...I see honey in the top super, I am feeding, just put my 3rd 2 1/2 G sugar syrup on...I put an entrance reducer on about 10 days ago...I just see a lot of bees around the entrance...clustering around...I have no idea if this is because there are more bees in the afternoon and the entrance is smaller...or if robbers are there...If I cover the entrance to the reducer...for 2 days?? and have the syrup atop the hive...will that be enough to sustain,  them?

Thanks from me...always worried about her bees...Sharon

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Closing the entrance worries me...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:00:29 pm »
The easiest way to tell is look inside and see how much syrup they have stored away.  Not sure how many super you have on, but with 7.5 gallons already,  there shouldn't be much room left.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:58:31 pm »
Modify an entrance reducer to work with a entrance feeder and it will help discourage any robbing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:16:30 pm »
Go out after dark and block the entrance.  If a lot of bees are all over the hive the next day, they are being robbed.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:24:35 pm »
>>Go out after dark and block the entrance.  If a lot of bees are all over the hive the next day, they are being robbed.

If you are using a bottom entrance only (as most do) then I would use folded screen to block the entrance so the bees don't sufficate.  Cut a piece of door screen the same width as your hive entrance.  If you also cut it the same length, making a square, it doesn't matter which side you roll up to plug the entrance. Screens cut like that also work well for blocking the entrance when moving the hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 09:30:27 pm »
Go out after dark and block the entrance.  If a lot of bees are all over the hive the next day, they are being robbed.

I slightly disagree with Mike here. The reason being that if there is heavy traffic  and you suddenly reduce the entrance you will have a traffic jam.  The bees will adjust but if there is a flow it could be a problem.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:41:06 pm »
I Have noticed when I have a hive robbed I can see wax cappings and stuff on the bottom board and can see where the cells have been uncapped.Also it is a steady flow of bees and the gaurd bees are going in circles try to protect the entrance.
kirk
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:17:31 am »

I slightly disagree with Mike here. The reason being that if there is heavy traffic  and you suddenly reduce the entrance you will have a traffic jam.  The bees will adjust but if there is a flow it could be a problem.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I believe Michaels suggestion was to completely block off the entrance at night when all the bees are inside. Not to reduce it.  Then if any bees cluster on the outside the next day, they are robber bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:20:23 am »
I Have noticed when I have a hive robbed I can see wax cappings and stuff on the bottom board and can see where the cells have been uncapped.

That is a sign at times too,  but since she just feed 7.5 gallons of syrup,  there is plenty of uncapped syrup for them to steal without having to chew off the cappings.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:27:32 am »
I am not talking about reducing the entrance.  I'm talking about totally blocking it.  If you close it up (as Brian says with #8 hardware cloth or screen wire) at night then the bees on it in the morning (if there are more than five or six) are robbers.  What's more, if you wait until the robbers have left to open it back up, it may stop the robbing.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 08:37:48 am »
I am not talking about reducing the entrance.  I'm talking about totally blocking it.  If you close it up (as Brian says with #8 hardware cloth or screen wire) at night then the bees on it in the morning (if there are more than five or six) are robbers.  What's more, if you wait until the robbers have left to open it back up, it may stop the robbing.

I misread it. When I first saw it.
The image that entered my head was when I would do a switch from a bottom to a top entrance. All I saw were the confused bees trying to get into the area they are familar with.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 11:11:58 am »
MB's piece about closing the entrance with hardware cloth was what prompted my question.  I already have a reducer on...it is fine to place the hardware cloth over the reducer without causing harm to the bees?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 11:18:49 am »
Sharon, you can put hardware cloth over the reducer, there is no problem with that whatsoever.  The hardware cloth is just so that still a little air ventilation can come through, but nothing can get from the outside of the inside of the hive.  Have a wonderful day, girl, love our life we're livin'. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 11:26:03 am »
Oh thanks so...I ran down early this am before theyleft the hive and plopped the screen on..I will go out there in a couple hours to see if there are robbers...then I will follow MB's suggestions from his web site...

I hope "I" get through Winter!  HAHAHAHA

Hugs

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 08:50:36 pm »
The main thing is to bring the robbing frenzy to a stop.  Screening the entrance after dark does two things.  First you can confirm for sure that it is or is not robbing and second you can stop the robbing.  Once the robbers give up and go home, you can open up just enough space for one bee at a time so the hive can fly again.
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 12:06:09 am »
Sharon, you hives will come through winter with flying colours.  I must tell you, you imparted such a warm and friendly feeling when you signed off with the words "hugs".

There is nothing more comforting that causes that warm and fuzzy feeling than a hug.  A hug can mend a hurt heart, make the day of someone even more warm and happy.  That was a beautiful thing to say.  Have a great and wonderful day on this fabulous planet we all share. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thumper

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 01:31:33 am »
How about a robbing screen?

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 11:32:45 am »
I'll check on a robber screen when I am off work...ugh...work hahahaha

:-* here is a kiss to go along with the hugs Cindi~*~

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 01:09:18 am »
Sharon, you are a beauty, and I love U.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  C.

anything