Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Cutout Complete  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
First Cutout Complete
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:58:08 pm »
The cutout went great! Took about 2.5 hours, 10 stings or fewer, most through clothing when I got them caught in a crease (knee, etc). One thing I did learn is that I need to wear a full suit or find a pair of pants that stay up...I got a couple stings in my back when the pullover I had on crept up, exposing my tender flesh.

I found about 20 capped queen cells. The homeowner said the swarmed not too long ago. Considering how crammed in they were here, I can't imagine what it was like for them before the swarm!

I have to say, this was pretty easy and a lot of fun. The sawzall was a good tip. If I hadn't bought that, I'd have been screwed. There was no obvious way to pop rivets and remove the wall, especially with 3/8" plywood behind the sheet metal.

Thanks for all the tips; I wouldn't have even attempted it without all of your input and advice.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Moonshae.Beek/Cutout5308
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: First Cutout Complete
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 04:38:36 pm »
Way to go man! Did you happen to see the queen? As for as rivets go, they can be drilled out. Good job, did you have fun?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:26:19 pm »
Great Pics!  I like the way they are packed so neatly in the truck!  Bet you can't wait for the next one!  It amazes me the places they choose to live!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 05:35:50 pm »
awesome job. Were they up in ceiling? or just wall? Congrats!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »
I didn't see a queen, but since the hive had swarmed recently, I wasn't surprised to see a ton of queen cells.

I did pop the rivets, but they weren't holding the wood in place...they just held the metal to the plywood.

They were all just in the wall, which made it easy.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 12:03:03 pm »
Those queen cells will save that hive. Excellent job.

:'( It's almost touching to see all these new people doing cut outs.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 12:04:56 pm »
:'( It's almost touching to see all these new people doing cut outs.

I am definately "touched!".
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 12:44:10 pm »
Glad you took the sawzall I mentioned.  Was afraid you would find a bigger cooler than that.  I've been in some that were as big as a tractor trailer and drilling out those rivets would have taken all day. :)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 10:46:11 pm »
Those queen cells will save that hive. Excellent job.

Upon reflection, and considering how calm they were, I almost wish I had split them up into several nucs to keep more of their genetics around. But If I decide to try raising my own queens, depending on how they come back after mating, I will likely use these bees to give it a shot.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 10:56:20 pm »
Glad you took the sawzall I mentioned. 

Even with the rivets removed, I couldn't have done it without the sawzall.  I tried popping a few with a wedge, and they gave, but they only held the metal sheet in...they didn't help me with the 3/8" plywood behind it. Fortunately, the hive entrance was big enough to stick the blade in...I forgot to bring a drill. Won't make the mistake again.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 10:04:49 pm »
These are some super docile bees...I opened the hive today without smoke, and they didn't even pay attention. I probably could have started lifting out frames without worry, but I don't want to disturb them too much yet.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:02:43 am »
Great Job!...and thanks for the pics.
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 02:29:55 pm »
Inspected the hive for the first time today, figured I should see a queen. I found her, and she's big and fat, but I didn't see any eggs or larvae yet. I'll check back next weekend and take a look; I would think by then she'll be laying. They still are some really calm bees...none of my other hives are as calm as these.

Sorry I didn't get a perfect shot; for a queen, she wasn't very vain.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »
Inspected the hive for the first time today, figured I should see a queen. I found her, and she's big and fat, but I didn't see any eggs or larvae yet. I'll check back next weekend and take a look; I would think by then she'll be laying. They still are some really calm bees...none of my other hives are as calm as these.

Sorry I didn't get a perfect shot; for a queen, she wasn't very vain.

I don't see any honey, do you have a flow on? If not you need to feed them, then again, I don't know what the rest of the colony looks like.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »
There's nothing capped, but there is a good amount of nectar throughout some of the other frames. I could throw on a feeder tomorrow, though, to be on the safe side.