Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: take the word of one who knows  (Read 4307 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
take the word of one who knows
« on: May 24, 2005, 01:39:59 pm »
this will be very short. Now I am a new beekeeper and don't know too much, But there is one thing I know as of this morning. It is very important not to test the efficacy of lemon grass oil without a bee suit on. I just found out. Now I have to put the suit on and go back and pick up all the stuff I threw down when I ran. I only got about three stings but if I hadn't outran them I would have got a lot more.  they just surged out of there huge numbers. At least I know I can still run pretty good at for my age (sixty eight). who says this is not an exciting hobby
billiet

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 01:48:32 pm »
check, no lemon grass :lol:
Ryan Horn

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:40:56 pm »
Eeek!   :lol:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 03:00:20 pm »
It's Nasonov pheromone to the bees.  Not alarm pheromone.  I think YOU gave off the alarm pheromone when the bees all responded to the "come here" pheromone. :)  Bees do respond to it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:12:35 pm »
that is why I didn't have the suit on. but I was not prepared to the instant effect, and the huge numbers while I was running I was thinking, did I make a mistake and give them the alarm signal? I am quite pleased to know I can still run that fast.lol. but then some of that hive's bees like to come out and but heads with me when I drive by on the tractor now. since I am too lazy to walk. I use it for a four wheeler, when I am working the crops, and they have learned the sound of sit since I robbed so much of their frames when I was trying to make nucs. I will be glad when I have enough hives to only occasionally take a frame of brood.
billiet

Offline RandGraham

• New Bee
What were you doing?
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 03:58:56 pm »
Bill,
What exactly were you doing? Approaching the hive with an open bottle of the lemon grass oil? I am planning on buying some and adding a few drops to a waterer to attract bees. How close did you get until they were on to you?

Thanks,
Rand

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 06:00:24 pm »
hey randy. I bought the lemon grass oil at anatural food store here and I was going to use it to help get the bees into a box when I get a swarm But this am I just wanted to see how they would react, so I put acouple of drops on a couple of cottn balls soaked in alcohol. I thought I would see if I could get some bees to go in a cage just for an experiment. well they didn't seem too interested so I got the zip loc bag and opened it up[ and let the odor waft into the entrance reaching around from the back of the hive. I kinda bent around to get a look when I did it and as soon as they smelled iit the surged into the air and all around me. At first I thought it is just calling them towards me but they started head butting and I got a couple of stings I guess I kinda lost it then and threw everything down and ran. when I went back it was a calm as anything. the stuff works
billiet

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 06:23:04 pm »
Bill
I was thinking of giving lemon grass oil a try,but was skeptical if it worked.
Thanks for testing it for me.

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 06:31:15 pm »
you are quite welcome rich I wonder if there is an oil that mimics alarm pheromone. that wound lend itself some wild experiments lol
billiet

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 06:42:43 pm »
>you are quite welcome rich I wonder if there is an oil that mimics alarm pheromone. that wound lend itself some wild experiments lol

Buy some artificial banana flavoring.  I think that should do it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 07:20:35 pm »
That is all TOOO funny! :) Thanks for the laugh.

Beth

Offline RandGraham

• New Bee
Put some in the water
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 10:42:56 pm »
Well,
I put about 10 drops into a bucket of water I am trying to get the bees to use. I've had this water in between my hives and my neighbor's hot tub since Sunday. I haven't seen any bees visit it yet. We'll see if the lemon grass oil does the trick.

-Rand (Just Rand like Rand McNally the roadmap publisher)