Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: first inspection questions  (Read 1201 times)

Offline rufus

• New Bee
first inspection questions
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:55:00 am »
I am a new beek and did my one week inspection today and I have some questions.  I installed two packages last Thursday and fed them with a hive top floating feeder.  The first hive had a cluster of bees in the center and seem to be doing well and are pretty calm.  The second hive seems to have a cluster off to one side and is building comb up thru the slot on the feeder.  This second hive seems to be more agresive.  Why would there be a cluster off to one side in one and in the middle in the other?  Should I move the frames around so that the cluster ends up in the center?  The foundation I am using I got from the Bee Inspector and it was mostly drawn out.  Should I remove the foundation on the side that has little or no activity and replace it with just standard foundation?

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: first inspection questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:55:08 pm »
Why would there be a cluster off to one side in one and in the middle in the other? 
It's like going to the movies: some folks like to sit up front; others like the back; some want aisle seats; others want to be in the middle. These are just bugs picking a place to start.

It's only been a week - no need to move any frames around. They'll be fine and eventually fill things up.