Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Roto Tiller search  (Read 6773 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Roto Tiller search
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:26:43 pm »
Hey guys!

Got the approval from my wife to buy a roto tiller with this years tax return instead of borrowing the neighbors tractor.  I'm looking for a walk behind model with rear tines.  I'm on a limited budget (about $800) and want the best for the money.  I've checked out a few online that I like, Home Depot's Yard Machines 21AA40M1029, Lowe's Troy Bilt 21C-65M1011, and Sears Craftsman 29908.  All cost about the same, very close tilling path, and all 208cc engine.
Now I just have to decide which one I want.  I'm sorta leaning towards the Troy-Bilt one.  Any comments or recommendaitons?

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Roto Tiller search
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »
I have the Yard Machine. I like it just fine. I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:22:38 pm »
More bang for you buck going used.  Most people only used them once of twice a year.   As long as they have been stored indoors old one most likly have very few hours on them.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:26:09 pm »
i have two.  the big one is more than i can handle.  the smaller one i think is a yard machine also, but it's to small to do the first pass on our big garden.  i need the tractor for that.  once it's done, the smaller is great for keeping weeds down and redoing beds.

whatever you get, make sure it's not so big that she can't wrangle it.   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »
I have a Troy built, Pony. had it 10 yrs. no complaints.
Just make (SURE) you read the handling instructions good.
It will not dig deep all at once. Once you get a few inches deep and get to the edge, or a root, or something solid, believe me, it can become, "yes" (air born), When it does, turn loose of the handles.
It may land on its side but it will stop.

Went and looked at the ford Tractor to day. Will be getting it next month.
And yes, it is cold here. :roll: :)doak

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:18:05 pm »
 Keep an eye out at the store for returns I bought  a 320 dollar troy built  front tine for 200 bucks. some one used it one time and took it back. i picked it up with the original warranty and paid less just becouse some one took the paint off the tines.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:15:31 pm »
I have my second troy built (first one was stolen) and they really don't make them like they used to. 

However, the new one has counter rotating tines, and it is a lot easier to handle than the old one was.  I was a bit concerned that it would back up on you if it got hung, but it doesn't.  Seems like it would, but it never has. 

If you try to dig too deep too fast the old one would take off, but the new one will just lose traction and the tires will spin until you let up. 

Get one with the bumper guard cage thing on the front though or you will be buying a new blower housing sooner or later.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:56 am »
We bought a used Troybuilt pony, not so much because of price but rather because we thought they were made much more solidly in previous years than they are nowadays.  So far, it has served us very, very well.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:49:20 pm »
I have an Ariens walk behind 8 hp, Last year I had to opt for a new carborator but it still runs well (I like the reverse gear) and it's over 20 years old.  My father bought it used 15-16 years ago. 
If I were going to buy a new tiller I would get either the Ariens or the Troy built in at least 8 hp motor, 13 would be a little big for this decrepit old man.
Craftman's are not as good as they used to be, it's construction has been outsourced too.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 11:38:06 pm »
Whatever you decide to get,be sure to put Sea foam or Stabil in the fuel tank and run long enough to work through the system before storing for extended periods. Todays fuels like to wreak havoc in carbs on small engines when left to sit for extended periods.
There is nothing like having to tear stuff apart and repair it for a couple hours use.
 have fun tilling Sean!!

P.S. I have a troybilt pony with a 7 hp motor. Great machine!!!
Hers a link to troybilt.Sometimes their online price is better than you get from dealers,but shipping adds to cost.
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10001_14102_54970_54970_54970_-1#

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:54:48 pm »
Wow, great responses guys!!!

I'm favoring the Troybilt more and more.  Brian, I also like the idea of a reverse.
Our old tymer neighbor has been tilling our garden for us every year with his big tractor, so our soil is deep, fluffy, and free of rocks.  Using his tractor is now kind of over kill, diesel is expensive, and he's not getting any younger and doesn't like tilling his own garden let alone ours.  Plus I'd feel more satisfaction if I did my own work.  :-)

Our garden is pretty large and a small tiller just wont cut it.  I've used the big rear tine ones before and I love them.  I'm not apposed to buying something used, I've seen really great deals on Craigslist.

We'll see, I'll keep shopping and let you guys know what I come up with.  I can't wait for spring!!!!!!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:12:34 am »
I have a Cub Cadet that came from Tractor Supply i swear probably the best machine i've ever walked behind.  Last time i tilled with it left the garden soil looking more like sand it cut so fine.  It has forward and revese on the tines.  I think it also has a revese in the wheel transmisson.  Been since last spring since i messed with it so kinda hard to remember.  I can say i've used a troy built horse and i'd rather have the cub cadet just does so much better on all surfaces.   Of course if you live on flat ground (something i only dream about) doesn't really matter.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!